1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem running scandisk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wnt2binkauai, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wnt2binkauai

wnt2binkauai Thread Starter

I am trying to run scandisk, but I keep getting the following message:
    Scandisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing...

I have shut down all programs except for explorer and systray and I have also disabled my AntiVirus. I still get the same message. I've tried to restart in SafeMode but can't get it to restart in SafeMode. I've tried holding ctrl or the F8 at different times and none of them work in restarting in SafeMode. I am running Windows ME and am using a Compaq, if that helps. I've tried making a startup disk but it asks for a Windows ME disk which I don't have.

Thanks for the help.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

If you shut down all programs except explorer and systray using Ctrl-Alt-Del then this shut down your anti- virus anyway.

Were you continualy holding the Ctrl key down at startup, whilst the black "DOS" check pages were running through ? - the menu with safemode on it should come up after these.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

2 ways to try and get to safe mode if F8 and ctrl don't work.

1. Run MSCONFIG > Advanced tab and select Enable Startup Menu
    Reboot, and from the menu select Safe mode

2. Put a formatted (non bootable) disk in your floppy drive
    Reboot
    When you get the message about an invalid system disk, remove the floppy and hit F8
    This "should" take you to Safe mode.

4. wnt2binkauai

wnt2binkauai Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I was able to start in safe mode by completely shutting down and then holding ctrl when it started.

Now, as the scandisk was working, it came across something that had a future date. It is in the compaq message screener/bin folder. I canceled the scandisk and went to the folder. The items inside show created on 11/28/2028. How could that be? Should I have the computer fix the dates on all these? It asks if the file should be deleted, fixed, or ignored. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice