1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem sending Attachments and replying

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by trashman, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trashman

trashman Thread Starter

I have 2 pc's hooked to the internet through a linksys router and a dsl modem. On the second machine, (going by the 2nd port on the router) I get the error shown below when I try to send email with attachments or sometimes when I reply to emails. I have found reference to this problem, but no solution. Does anyone have any ideas?

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'XXX', Server: 'smtp.XXX.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10054, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Im taking a stab at the problem is you don't have enuff ram to support what you're doing. Does it stall or freeze up?

Savvy :)

3. trashman

trashman Thread Starter

I have 256 meg. No it doesn't lock up. I can clear the error and send new email. Just no attachments. I should add that I'm using outlook express and that the two pc's are identical.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I've seen data transfer interruptions with certain PCs on those Linksys routers when the network card is set to Auto Sense and especially when they are on a longer run of CAT cable.

Try this and see what happens,

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Network. Highlight the network card and select properties. Under one of tabs you should see a speed setting for Auto, 100BaseTx, 10BaseT, etc... Try selecting 10BaseT and follow the prompts to restart.

Let us know what happens.

5. trashman

trashman Thread Starter

No good.
    I tried auto, 100t, 10t duplex. restarting every time.
    I also tried different transmit thresholds. No change.
    The cable is a 15 ft cable. If it was a communication problem,
    wouldn't I have problems sending regular email and surfing?
    I also don't have a problem communicating between both pc's through the router.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Wonder if uninstalling the mail & reinstalling it would help?

Savvy :confused:

7. trashman

trashman Thread Starter

Do you mean the account or the whole program? I have deleted the mail account and reloaded that without success.

Does anyone think that this might be a router setting problem? I've looked everywhere in oe and it's the same as the other machine that's hooked to the router but works fine.

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I found this but not sure it will help you.
    Click here!

Savvy:(

9. hewee

hewee

10. trashman

trashman Thread Starter

Solved!!

Sunday, I emailed linksys and explained my problem. Their response was to go into the filter tab on the routers web page utility and adjust the MTU to somewhere in the 1400-1572 range. My MTU was disabled from the factory so I set it at 1400. (figured to start at the bottom) Email worked like it should! YEA! Anyway, I have been moving it up and I am at 1490. I figure I'll try higher when I have time. Just what is the MTU setting for anyway? It would have been nice if they put something about this in the manual. I want to thank all of you for your time in helping me.

Hey Bryan, can you post a link to this in the network area? Maybe others can benefit from my misfortune.

11. hewee

hewee

Great to hear you got it fixed.

12. chockwatti

chockwatti

i have been tryiny to send an e-mail with motions and sound using PictureIt publisher but to no avail i cannot find any way to save or send.any help please

13. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Trashman - Good definitions of MTU - Maximum Transmission Unit - can be found at www.webopedia.com or www.techweb.com/encyclopedia

Chockwatti - Hi there. :)
    Sorry, I don't really know anything about PictureIt publisher.
    It's a photo editor, isn't it?</font>

14. hewee

hewee

chockwatti,

I don't have PictureIt publisher but I do have PictureIt! 99.
    I can make cards to sent in email and they show up as .html pages. Been a long time but I think there was two ways of saving the work. One was for if the other person has PictureIt! 99 and the other was a self.exe that just opens your I.E. or Netscape to show the card and play you sound if you added the sound.

So just what are you making and how are you trying to send it?

Signature,

PictureIt publisher is PictureIt with a very water down version of MS Publisher. My sister has it and also MS Publisher. She did not like it because she had the Full MS Publisher and the PictureIt publisher was slow because of the added publisher that she did not need. I have not really seen it to know just how how the two programs work together. Maybe she will like it on here new PC with the added power.
    I know I don't trust what MS says you need to run there programs. I like to add 2 to 3 times on what they say you knew on anything image program. So say you need 5 times the memory then what a programs says you need too.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!