1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem setting up a cdr-w drive and a dvd/cdr-w drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by partymanjohn, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. partymanjohn

partymanjohn Thread Starter

Recently my dvdr/cdr-w drive went out but it still plays dvds but wont burn or anything so i had an extra cdr-w drive. I hook them up to the IDE cable and only 1 of them comes up at a time...it's like when i have them both plug in it reads the slave as master and it blocks out the dvdr drive. when i unplug the slave (cdr-w) it reconizes the dvd drive, can someone help me on what to do cause its becoming fusterating switching back and forth. I didn't have to install any programs for them to work either.

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

Did you set the jumpers correctly?

3. partymanjohn

where is the jumper at? and also how do you set it to both master and slave?

4. Gnomad

Gnomad

The jumpers are on the end of the CD or DVD drive that has the power and IDE connectors. There are a number of pins with a pin jumper on them. The position of the jumper sets it as Master or Slave. There should be a guide on the CD or DVD drive telling you on which pins to put the jumper. You either need to set one as Master and the other as Slave, or you can set them both to CS which stands for Cable Select. Cable Select means the position on the cable determines which is Master and which is Slave.

5. partymanjohn

got it working, thx.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice