1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Problem setting up account in Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by junkdiver, Feb 28, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

I've had to reinstall Win 7 plus all of my other software. I had to re-install Outlook and attempted to re-establish my two email accounts. One account is through MS Exchange and I went through the MAIL(32) application to set up the account. After filling in the pertinent information, I had a small window pop up requesting the password. Canceling out I got an error report stating "The action cannot be completed. The connection to MS Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Closing the error window a small MS Exchange window appears with server and mailbox info.
    I'm connected to the internet and have attempted the procedure with anti-virus and firewall turned off and still the same result.

When I set this up years ago it connected MSE in the blink of an eye. Where is the conflict keeping me from connecting to MS Exchange?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to enter your password in that pop-up window that appears for it to complete, that's a valid pop-up for certain Exchange server setups that needs to be filled out correctly.

Alternatively, and depending on what version of Outlook you are using, you should open Outlook and go through it's wizard to setup the account, it offers a few different options depending the version of Outlook and sets up certain Exchange or Office 365 accounts better.

Also I've moved the thread to the Web & Email section.

3. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Sorry missed the Email category. Using 2007 version of Outlook and as I stated above I went through the MAIL(32) Wizard. I was on MS Exchange last week until the re-install of version 7.
    I have filled out the pop-up with the password and get the same pop-up, it's a continuous loop. Also all MS office updates have been installed.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you double check that Outlook 2007 shows that SP3 is in fact installed?

Who provides your Exchange service? You may need to reach out to them to verify the settings are correct. Are you able to access the Outlook Web Access(OWA) for your Exchange service with the username & password you have?

Also Outlook 2007 support has been dropped by some Exchange and Office 365 services.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does your email have 2 Factor Authentication?

6. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

I would assume that in your reference to Exchange service you would be referring to LIVE.COM? I am able to access Outlook through the web with current username and password. I also have an old laptop that is configured for MS Exchange and can currently get email.
    Also I can not find where SP3 has been installed.

7. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Sorry, have no clue as to what you are referencing to.

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    To setup MS Outlook we need to know what the email service is.
    Then we can determine what the SMTP Server is and what TCP Port it uses.
    If that service is IMAP or POP3 and what that server is and what TCP port is uses.
    Also if it requires encrypting the Email Account and Password using SSL/TLS.

**If this is Outlook 365 it specifically supports a version of TLS that MS Outlook 2007 does not natively support. It requires Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016 or Office 365.

If in Control Panel you have a "Mail (32)" Control Panel Applet, it means you have the 32bit version of Outlook 2007 on a Windows 64 bit OS.

That utility helps one create a MS Outlook Email Profile and in it is where we apply all the technical aspects of connecting to the email service.

You indicated "I am able to access Outlook through the web with current username and password."

What is that URL ?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's a second authentication to provide a more secured account. Most older clients do not support it so I wanted to make sure you didn't set this up and forgot about it.

10. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

URL is LIVE.COM. In my initial thread I explained going thru MAIL(32). I have had this account for a number of years. Problem appeared after reinstalling WIN 7 last week. As of right now I have downloaded all office updates including SPE for Outlook 2007.

11. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Before you re-installed Windows 7 last week, when was the last time you used Outlook 2007 to access your Live.Com email account ?

12. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Last week.

13. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Here are the settings used in setting up Live.Com email.

IMAP - Provides the same folders that you see on Webmail
    POP - Is simple Email InBox. Email retrieved vie POP3 will remove it from the server and won't be available in Webmail any longer.

I suppose you'll want to use IMAP

• IMAP server name imap-mail.outlook.com
    • IMAP port 993
    • IMAP encryption method TLS
    • POP server name pop-mail.outlook.com
    • POP port 995
    • POP encryption method TLS
    • SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
    • SMTP port 587
    • SMTP encryption method STARTTLS

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    dlipman, the issue is the password is the issue, not the server information.

JunkDiver: Check in Credential Manager for any reference to your failing account and delete it. Make sure Outlook is closed for this. THen try Outlook again

15. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

All fields are empty in the Credential Manager.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice