problem sharing files between 2 xp machines

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LearningIT

Ok here is the scenario.....

I have 2 computers in a LAN.....Computer 1 is an XP sp1 machine, Computer 2 is an XP sp2 machine. They are using a broadband connection coming in thru a Cisco 1700 router, then into a netgear hub, then out to the 2 machines. Firewall is off on both and Both machines logons are administrators

Both computers are in workgroup and can see each other. Computer 1 can fully browse computer 2.......But computer 2 is unable to browse computer 1 or see any of its shares.

while on computer 2, I go to My Network Places, on the left hand side under network tasks I click view workgroup computers, double click on computer 1 and receive the following error.....

"computer 1 pc is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
logon failure:the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

The goal here is to share a program off of the c drive of computer 1, thru the network to computer 2.....A network drive will be mapped to the program on computer 1's c drive allowing computer 2 to use it.

I did not set these up but I am thinking this is a permissions problem with computer 1

Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a user account on each machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to the connecting machine.

LearningIT

JohnWill said:
Create a user account on each machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to the connecting machine.

Ok I will try this.....but I dont understand why I would have to......I am able to share and do things like this between my 2 xp machines at home and they have different user names.

Question 2 is if this does work and I am able to Network my drive, will that networked drive be available to all the users on the computer, or only that user that that created it?

TerryNet

Terry
"I am able to share and do things like this between my 2 xp machines at home and they have different user names."

This is true for XP Home and true for XP Pro using Simple File Sharing. Since you did not specify, it's safer for JohnWill or anybody else to assume XP Pro without SFS.

Another common cause of your problem is a firewall. 3rd party firewalls have to be uninstalled or properly configured (trusted zone). I've heard that the pre-SP2 XP firewall has problems, so best to disable that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online