1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem shrinking volume: only 9gb available?!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maru1, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Hello!

I'm using Windows 7 RTM build 7600. I'd like to make a partition and make a dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 but I have a problem shrinking my system (c:) volume. It says that I only can shrink it 9xxxMB and I have 250gb free (out of 296gb) !

I have tried defragmenting with the Windows defragmenter, but no luck, also tried to defragment with Perfectdisk 10 and I have been able to free up some space - the previously mentioned 9gb (since before It Disk managment showed that I can shrink only 126mb!)

Do you have any suggestions that I could try to move Windows 7 to the beggining of the disk?

also I have second question:
    I have 1.4gb of Toshiba System Volume that is left over from Vista and I'd like to format it but i don't know how (the reuglar way is not allowed)

I'm also attaching screenshots of Disk managment and Perfectdisk so that it is clear what I'm talking about

Thanks for help :eek:

Attached Files:

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

Windows is pretty flaky with changing partition sizes. I haven't used PerfectDisk so I can't speak for that at all.

Ubuntu setup includes GParted to create/move/format partitions- have you tried that? I also believe you can use GParted when booting with the Ubuntu CD as a live disc.

3. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

No, I didn't try that yet. Actually I was planning to load ubuntu through usb using unetbootin. So that's why I wanted to shrink the partition and then setup ubuntu in the unallocated space...
    I could try the gparted option though

4. hulkinator

hulkinator

Having never used unetbootin I'm not sure, but I'd think setup runs just the same from the USB flash drive as it would directly off of the Live CD, so you should be able to use GParted.

If you are going through the GParted process and aren't sure about something, don't hesitate to post a question or look for documentation- there is a lot of it available for GParted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice