1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem signing in to Hotmail account

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dashlf, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashlf

dashlf Thread Starter

I keep my Hotmail account open during work so that I can email with my wife (I know, I know - but we don't abuse the privilege and my boss knows I keep it open, ok?). Anyway, for a while now when I've signed in to Hotmail, instead of making a nice neat transition from the login page to my inbox, it would go to a "file not found" page. I had solved this minor issue by simply refreshing the page. Often it would go to a weird looking, text-only version of my inbox, which I would have to refresh again. Then everything would work fine for the rest of the day. This occurred in both IE7 and Google Chrome.

Yesterday, as our resident "tech guy" (as in, happens to know more than anyone else in our company, and only enough to be dangerous), I was tasked with installing an updated version of NOD32 antivirus software. I don't know if these things are related, but now I am unable to access my inbox for Hotmail, in either IE or Chrome.

When I try to go to the log-in page, sometimes I can't even get to it. If I open a new window, I can usually at least get the log in page and enter my username and password. But after I attempt to complete the sign-in process, I get a "HTTP 400 - Bad request" error. In Chrome, it says, "Bad Request (Invalid Verb)".

This happened to me yesterday afternoon, after installing NOD32. When I logged in on both my computers at home last night, I had no problem.

What's going on? What is messed up? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd start by clearing out all the temp internet files. Errors among those can lead to all kinds of strange consequences. My javascript quit working on this site the other day until I cleared them out.

3. dashlf

dashlf Thread Starter

Oops - sorry! Forgot to mention, I cleared all cookies, internet files, everything this morning when I first had the problem. Still does it.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the antimalware and antivirus settings to be sure scripting is not blocked. Or anything else that might interfere. Sometimes those things get too protective.

5. dashlf

dashlf Thread Starter

I couldn't find anything in the NOD32 set up tree that mentioned anything about scripts. What I did do was not only exclude both "hotmail.com" and "live.com" (what Hotmail goes to when signing in) from being scanned, but also set them as allowable addresses.

No luck though - I'm still getting the same result. Arrggghhhh.... this is frustrating. I appreciate your help, btw.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice