1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem signing into hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by madeye, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

I Am having trouble signing into msn passport on my laptop, I go to sign in and it always comes back with a screen that tells me this site is either unavailable or is not the actual log in screen for passport. It is not the basic unavailable site but looks rather official from the MSN.com homepage style.

I dont understand quite what is wrong, I had some problems with messenger service pop ups and downloaded a firewall, adaware and spybot search and destroy and fixed the open ports that I had and have granted access to all the communications between hotmail and my computer when It asked but this concerns me having had open ports for quite some time, when I got commview it was amazing all the activity going on on my laptop.

It has to be a laptop problem though because I am able to login to passport on my desktop just fine and it is on the same internet connection, so I doubt its a hack or something.

Any Ideas or additional info I can give that could help?

Thank You

2. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

Ok I did some more investigation into this that may help in a diagnosis,
    I try to login to hotmail at the sign in screen and I get sent to another location www.login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2 and there it tells me that .net passport unavailable at this site and it says it is because one of these reasons,

The site may contain an error or be experiencing a problem that affects the .net passport service.

or

the site may not be an official .net passport participating site.

I know that both these reasons are not correct because I do the exact same thing on the same addresses on my desktops and am able to sign in just fine.

but what I found that was if I enter the address it redirects me to( www.login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2 ) on my desktop It asks me to connect to the internet and brings up dial up options. I am then offline untill I reestablish my cable internet connection under control panel. I have no idea if that has anything to do with my problem but I am thinking maybe when I sign in on my laptop that there is maybe a connection glitch?? I am still able to go to another site right after though.

My concern with this problem other than inconvenience was that with all the activity going on through my open ports I thought maybe someone could have hacked into it somehow. I Also have just moved into a new house and from what I found out (and started all my security concerns) is that some people that used to live here set up a network that allowed them to access all the computers in my house from thier work. I dont think they did anything malicious other than blocked one house members IP address (he claims as a joke to see if he could fix it since they are all techs working together).

Anyway none of my scans have shown a keylogger on the laptop but I am wondering if I have deleted something through hijack this that maybe is causing it, I have no problems anywhere else on the computer and never get any error messages just that the site is unavailable.

3. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

Resolved,
    It turns out I had my cookies security onto High and it wasnt allowing hotmail to access my information. Just thought Id post and say I found my problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice