1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem solved but I don't trust it...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asbestos bill, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asbestos bill

asbestos bill Thread Starter

Several weeks ago I was trying to shut down my computer. Nothing happened for a few minutes so I tried again. When this did not work I pressed the button to turn off the power. Subsequently whenever I turned the computer back on it would boot Windows XP up to the point where it would show the login/welcome screen, then power down completely.

Starting in Safe modes and booting with "last good configuration" yeilded the exact same result.

When I booted from the XP install disc, it would get to the point where is says "Starting Windows," just before any options are given (to run fixer, reinstall, etc) and then power down.

That hard drive was attatched to another computer and examined with a Linux based data retrieval program called Life Boat, and was found to have all of the folders and files still on it. I then hooked it up to the original computer and tried the same thing, but I got a drive failure notification and Life Boat would not recognize it.

Thinking that the drive's corruption was the cause of the entire ordeal, I took the drive from my secondary computer, reformatted it, and tried to install XP on it while attached to the first computer. It would not work, powering down at the same time it did with the other drive--when it says "Starting Windows."

The same thing happened when installing Windows 2000.

Just now, I tried again with XP, to make sure I had the point at which it powers down correct...and it worked. I deleted all partitions, formatted in NTFS and restared so that it could continue, but it came up with a blue screen saying there was an error, that Windows had stopped to prevent damage and that a video driver failed to load. If it was the first time I had seen the message, I was to restart. I did. Now Windows is installing normally.

Though this seems like the end of my problems, it seems dubious. I still need closure on that whole random powering down thing. Any thoughts?

2. asbestos bill

Update: After Windows was succesfully installed, I rebooted. Windows failed to boot giving this error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

3. asbestos bill

Update: Tried to repair from Windows XP CD, but it powered down at "Starting Windows..."

4. valis

valis Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice