1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem taking off pics with flash card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by starchild, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I just figured out (with help here) how to take the pictures off the memory(flash) card from my Epson 650 digital camera. Before this I was plugging in the camera and waiting while they uploaded to the computer.

Now I'm using the USB cable, with the "removable drive", the card is pushed into. It comes up as F drive (or sometimes E) I find the file (PHOTO 650) and (as I was told here) drag it into MY DOCUMENTS> MY PICTURES and after it (quickly) goes there, I rename the folder and it's all done.

Well, this seemed so easy and fast... but the last 3 times I tried this, it froze after a few had transfered and just stopped. I waited to see if it would start again, and tried Ctrl-Alt-delete (to see if it said "not responding") When I did, it crashed and the blue error screen came up. (I have WIN 98 SE)

I hit keys and tried to restart it, ended up turning off the plug strip, putting it back on and waiting while it went through disc scan and restarted again.

After a few times of this (at different times since yesterday) I opened up the removable drive file till I got to the actual picture files, brought up MY PICTURES beside it, created a new folder, and dragged all of the 40 pictures one by one into it this way.

I kind of like the other way, where I can just drag the 650 folder from the F (or E) into MY PICTURES, it transfers, and I rename it!

The first few times I did it, it worked fine. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing differently now.

It seems so fast and easy (and like it SHOULD work) the other way.

Oh the first time I did this, and it froze part way, I was only taking off 11 pictures (to clean it out before going out with the camera) and it only saved 5 of them (that way) before freezing.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

very confusing post Carrie

Are you trying to download from the camera to the computer?

What happens when you plug the camera in an try the transfer using explorer

buck

3. RT

RT

Carrie,
    Instead of dragging the 650 folder itself, try to open it and select the image filenames. (You can select all of them by clicking on any one of them, then on your keyboard hold 'Ctrl' and press A). You should then be able to drag the whole lot to any folder you want.

You might want to create a new folder first so can drag the images into it.

4. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

My camera uses a SmartMedia card (similar to a flash card), and I bought a universal USB card reader to let me download pics quickly. It works great for transferring pics from the camera.

Next I bought a 64MB SmartMedia card (the camera won't recognize anything over 16MB) to transfer files from one computer to another. In doing this I doscovered that if I try to transfer several MBs of files, the transfer to the SmartMedia card would halt with only a few files tranferred. After a little experimentation, I found that if I transferred the entire folder, it would go without a hitch.

Therefore, my advice would be to try it both ways: transferring the entire folder, and individual files... see which way works better.

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, next time I'll try the select all and copy/paste.

I was confused because I had done it a few times (dragging the 650 picture folder- which was the pictures from the removable drive- TO "My Pictures" (then renaming it there) and it had worked.

Last night I had a problem with the computer not staying connected online (it would connect at a very low byte, like 300 received 400 sent and snap off each time) so did a lot of stuff like taking out extra things and defragging it and this morning it seems to be a lot better. Maybe this will help overall.

Thanks for the responses. (Sorry for the confusion)

~ Carrie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice