problem transfering from instrument to pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SEARCH

Hi I have an electrical testing instrument which comes with the rs 232 connector.
My laptop has only usb ports.after installing the software to transfer via a rs 232 adapter to my pc,the instrument is read by the pc,but when downloading frm the instrument to the pc the message:checksum error comes up and the transfer is terminated.
plse help
thx
search

In many cases the USB to RS232 adapter does not work, or does not work correctly in my experience.

The equipment program usually assumes that a real hardware serial port is available, whereas all the USB adapters only create a software port. Interrupt commands from DOS may not always be handled correctly by these adapters.

The checksum error suggests that the data is getting corrupted, this could possibly relate to the incompatability between the adaper based port and the real port that is expected.

If incompatability is the cause, then you may have to look at alternatives such as a PCMCIA adapter, though I have never tried one.

SEARCH

kiwiguy said:
In many cases the USB to RS232 adapter does not work, or does not work correctly in my experience.

The equipment program usually assumes that a real hardware serial port is available, whereas all the USB adapters only create a software port. Interrupt commands from DOS may not always be handled correctly by these adapters.

The checksum error suggests that the data is getting corrupted, this could possibly relate to the incompatability between the adaper based port and the real port that is expected.

If incompatability is the cause, then you may have to look at alternatives such as a PCMCIA adapter, though I have never tried one.
thx for the advise.the problem is that all comunication in the factory enviroment between logic controllers are also rs 232.there ha to be a way to overcome this problem with the new laptops only having usb ports.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online