1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem trying to kick up my Windows xp (Dell)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by warr1or2, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

I was moving around some furniture & had to unplug my computer. It was working fine before.. After arranging everything I plugged my computer back up & it wouldn't power on. Here's the strange thing. I moved my computer to my room to see what's going on & it powers on, though it says NTLDR is missing. I've made no changes between unpluging that time to move things around & taking it back to my room. I remove the hard drives from my computer, to try to kick it up on another XP computer, a compac presario I had for years my sis was holding on to, & with the hard drives installed, wouldn't boot past the compac logo. So i put my hard drives back into my XP computer & now it says "Strike F1 to retry reboot or F2 to run setup" & all I was trying to do is copy either or both the NTLDR & Boot.ini to one of the drives. It was running fine till it was unplugged, so what could've happened?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Did you shut it down properly before you unplugged it??

3. renegade600

renegade600

first of all, you cannot move harddrives from one computer to another and expect them to boot. different computers different drivers.

sometimes when you move computers, things that are not securely connected or seated will come loose. make sure all cables and cards are properly connected. Also if there was a dust buildup, moving could cause the dust to shift and create issues. finally, when moving computers, if there was any type of jolt, it could cause an older drive to crash.

you might want to test the drive to see if it is okay. run seatools for dos. it will just test the drive, not fix it. If you want to test the drive and fix it, you will need to go to the drives manfacturers website and download their drive diagnostic utility.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

4. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

Well there were times I had to hold the power button to shut it down, so I did just that
    Also, no connections were loose,.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is not classed as shutting it down cleanly unless you just touched it briefly and it actually showed the message "Shutting Down". :)

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Sometimes moving a computer that hasn't been moved in a while loosens some connections. But connecting the drive to another computer and trying to boot from it might have caused some permanent file system damage. You may have to copy your data off and reinstall Windows.

7. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

See, I was only trying to copy a NTLDR (or check the good xp's boot.ini) & paste it, overwriting my xp's original to get it to kick up since "NTLDR is missing"
    after putting hard drives back in, "press F1 to retry reboot or f2 to run setup" was shown. Maybe i either connected something wrong, or I connected the wrong drive one.

I'll give it a try

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You can't boot a Windows drive that was installed on a computer on a another computer. Editing an INI file doesn't change the hardware configuration.

You should be able to get your data off the drive, but I don't see how you can boot Windows from it without reinstalling on one of the computers.

9. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice