Problem turning on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

P1Nh34D

Hey guys, I'm new here...well, sort of. Anyway, I'm on a laptop now because my desktop won't turn on. For the past few months or so, my computer had this slight problem where instead of turning on and displaying a green light on the power button, an orange light would appear and the computer wouldn't run. All I had to do was unplug the computer and plug it back in to get it working again.

But this afternoon, my computer had a similar problem, but this time the unplug/plug trick won't work. Basically, I left it on last night (I'm pretty sure on standby or something) but this afternoon I found it turned off. Unlike the past problems, the computer seemed as if it was going to turn on, but again, the orange light. However, the fan was spinning unusually loud, and when I checked it out, the fan was inconsistent--ranging from spinning normally, to spinning slowly, to not spinning at all. I tried using this dust remover to clear any dust, but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm not sure what model it is, but it's a Dell (ugh) running on XP, if that's any help. So I was wondering if any of you have any ideas as to how to fix the problem without having to have a professional or something fix it. Thanks in advance.:eek:

Do you hear any POST beeps when attempting to boot up? Usually, you'll hear one, if the system is working normally. If you hear none, chances are good that you're not booting up at all... not even accessing BIOS stage of boot-up. If that's the case, my guess would be trashed power supply. If you're relatively mechanically inclined, changing out a PS is not that difficult. It would be nice if you had another computer with a known good PS that you could swap out to confirm for sure. If not, there are ways to troubleshoot the PS, but it's not for the untrained. PS's are relatively cheap at places like Best Buy and CompUSA.

Luck!

~Eric

Yes an orange light on a Dell usually means that the power supply is shot. You can try an online search for compatable supplys for your model that will fit your Dell case and have more power too.

You could also enter you hardware code number (on a sticker on the back of the unit) at Dell's website and get the PS from them. Whatever's easier for you...

Regards,

~Eric

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online