1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem uninstalling games!

Discussion in 'Games' started by bdv1987, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdv1987

bdv1987 Thread Starter

I have a Windows Vista OS, and I'm having desperate trouble playing some games on it. It started about a year ago. I installed Singles by Deep Silver light onto my PC, but it didn't even play. I'm not sure if something went wrong with the installation, but when I went into control panel/uninstall or change programs, it would ask me if I wanted to uninstall, then turn into a kind of screensaver from the game, claim that setup was preparing installation, and then ask me if I wanted to keep any screenshots or saved games. This would all be fine if it would then proceed to remove itslef, but it doesn't. I've left it for whole days, but the screensaver stays and the game is never uninstalled. Eventually, I manually deleted the file from the C drive, but it still comes up on my "Uninstall or Change a program" window. The icon next to it is a computer window with a tiny blue square and some lines, which I'm guessing is meant to represent a picture and some writing. I've learned not to bother too much with it, but the same thing has occurred with a game I would actually quite like to play. A few days ago I installed The Sims Deluxe Edition and all the expansion packs in the right order. I checked the installation was working after the Deluxe Edition, which it was, before proceeding with the rest of the expansion packs (namely House Party, Hot Date, On Vacation, Unleashed, Superstar and Makin' Magic.) Immediately after installing them, I was able to play the complete game, with all the content present. However, after turing off the computer and coming back to it, when I tried to play, using the Makin Magic disc, I received a message saying that it seemed that another expansion pack had been installed after Makin' Magic, and would I uninstall. I clicked uninstall, only for all the games to be uninstalled, not just Making Magic. I read online that I'd have to make sure tha there was no remainder of the sims left on my computer so I went into Program Files and deleted the Maxis Folder. I tried to install them again, but this time I restarted my computer just after House Party. However, when I tried to run House Party, it just asks me to put in The Deluxe Edition. When I put in the deluxe edition and press play, it goes into setup, and when I try to uninstall it on "Uninstall or Change a program", it goes into the setup window box. It doesn't ask me to fill in the serial number, it just loads up, but won't play. I'm sure I've done something wrong, but I don't know what. Does anybody have any idea what has happened or how to fix it?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

With Singles, try re-installing and then uninstall again from Programs and Features. Simply deleting the file from the C drive will not remove the registry entries and many other files belonging to the game, you have to use Uninstall to clear it all out.

Where did you get the games from?

3. bdv1987

bdv1987 Thread Starter

I bought them second hand, is there a problem with second hand PC games?

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

What is the condition of the discs like, does the games licence allow installation on multiple PC's?

Do the discs all look genuine or are they pirated copies?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice