1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem viewing certain sites and images online

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sabbyblue, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabbyblue

sabbyblue Thread Starter

I am running under Windows 98.
    My problem is exhibited in IE, Navigator 4.77 and 7.1 as well as Firebird.

I know the problem is with my computer not the sites or images that I am trying to view.

When I go to certain sites I am told they do not exist, when they do.

When I go to other sites and utilize the function on the site, instead of the expected results I get a blank screen and in the Navigator Title bar is a reference to GIF Image, 32x32 pixels. I have seen the expected results on other computers as a list, not a blank screen. In IE on that same site I get a blank screen and when I do file properties it tells me it is a gif (it should not be a gif, it should be a list).

There are also certain images that instead of being able to view them I get a blank -- and the reference to GIF Image 32x32 when I look at their properties. One of these gif files is one that I have on my harddrive and I can view it fine with my browser when it is on the harddrive. But when I upload it to the server, I get the blank with reference to GIF Image 32x32. There are even jpgs that I get this indication from.

I know this is my setup somehow, but I do not know what to look for as the cause of this problem. I have cleaned out my cache and cookies. I emptied WINDOWS/temp. I ran spybot (I actually thought that the trouble started when I did the immunize with spybot, but i am not positive about that - and I would think it would not have effected Navigator. I know that I can no longer access hotmail through IE since then, though.) I have lowered my security levels and that has not helped.

I have searched thru google for something similar to this problem and see nothing.

I posted this in the wrong category earlier today and the thread has since disappeared. I put urls in the earlier post, so I have left them off of this one, in case putting the urls is against the rules.

If anyone can help with any suggestions I am willing to try them.

Thank you,
    lynn

2. mobo

mobo

Do you have a firewall running ?

3. sabbyblue

sabbyblue Thread Starter

My firewall is disabled, but there is one installed on the machine.

When I WAS able to view the sites and graphics that I can no longer view, this same "firewall disabled, but installed" configuration existed on this computer.

I do not know how to uninstall the firewall, but I will do find out if you think it could be the problem! You think so?

4. mobo

mobo

It is quite common for firewalls to do create those symptoms..

5. sabbyblue

sabbyblue Thread Starter

Thank you mobo.
    I will get on it, now.

6. sabbyblue

sabbyblue Thread Starter

Thank you, my mystery problem is solved. The firewall was the problem. Now that I know that I am able to just disable, and enable and the problem seems to go away... for a while.
    Thank you, I wish I had come here a year ago when I first noticed this prob.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice