1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem w/ HP psc 2410 print-scan-fax-copy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SecretWPN, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SecretWPN

SecretWPN Thread Starter

I'm trying to fix my mom's HP psc 2410
    When I turn it on the symptoms are:
    • Blank LCD Display
    • Copy, Print, Scan, and Fax buttons are blinking
    • Slight flickering sound not mechanical but almost like power fluctuation or like a telephone going on and off the hook.
    • No mechanical movement in the scanner or print heads to go into their home positions.

I'm thinking it's something that needs to be reset.
    Any haves at it?

My mom bought this not too long ago for over 3 bills and HP just discontinued it.
    She's not too happy that HP wouldn't do anything except suggest newer printers

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may be able to reset the printer - theres quite a few diiferent ways to do this depending on the printer - not sure on yours
    Menu/Enter button and the Symbol (asterisk) button works on some all-in-1's

3. SecretWPN

SecretWPN Thread Starter

I tried that and I also just tried the full system reset shown on the HP tech website.
    Unplug the machine for 30 seconds then replug while holding down # and 6.
    Nothing happens.
    Im thinking it's software or a bad board.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    replacing the ink carts
    otherwise - i'm out of ideas too sorry

5. onsite

onsite

Sounds like the printer might be toast. I am not a big fan of 3-in-1 printers , no matter who makes them. Thety seem to break and the software is not good on some. I do much better with a fax modem, seperate scanner and seperate printer.

6. SecretWPN

SecretWPN Thread Starter

Yup, that's pretty much the same feedback i've been getting. It is what it is.
    Well at least Mom gets to go shopping. Any suggestions. I don't think she wants an HP.

7. onsite

onsite

i HAVE AN epson R300 that I like a lot. I got after market ink tanks from Atlantic ink jet
    http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/
    they are completely empty, none of that cotton stuff inside, so i can refill them to the brim with ink, each tank i think was $15 + you need the reseter tool $12. I still like HP printers, i just think it is the 3 in 1 printers, they try to jam tooooo much into one assembly.
    then I also have an epson scanner, my old one i got in 96 , gave it to my Neice, still works great. Got the new one because i can scan 35mm slide , and can make photos from color negatives. I have a generic $10 fax / modem, i send very few faxes anymore, everything is email attachments.
    what ever you do , do not get a chep printer, i would not get one under $100. The color ink is expensive. You may want to try refilling if you are patient , some takes awhile to get them going again.
    same goes for scanners, do not buy cheap and do not get UMAX scanners
    here is a list of manufacturers
    http://www.silverfast.com/show/scannermanufacturers/en.html

what ever it takes do not let Mom buy another 3-in-1 ,,, they all are bad, no matter who makes them

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice