1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem w/ my DVD CDRW drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by deetee001, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deetee001

deetee001 Thread Starter

I have an Averatec 3150 with a Matshita UJDA740 DVD/CDRW drive that doesn't work. I hear the drive running briefly but doesn't seem to recognize any disc (CD or DVD). Can someone help tell me what's wrong and how to fix it?

2. briealeida

briealeida

Is it an internal drive or an external one?
    What OS are you using?
    Is the power cable securely seated?
    Did it work before? If so, what changes have you made between now and then?

3. deetee001

deetee001 Thread Starter

Hi. It's internal and yes, it worked before. Last I recall, it worked before I did a recovery process using the 2 CDs that came w/ the laptop. It must have worked for a little while after as I had to add some additional software via CDs. I've tried to find the drivers for the drive on line but can't find one that I can use to update the one that is in the system.
    Thanks for helping.

4. deetee001

deetee001 Thread Starter

Hi....forgot to write that the OS is Windows XP (regular one).
    thanks

5. briealeida

briealeida

Just a stab but if you try to boot using a recovery disk (like Knoppix or something), is the drive recognized then?
    Also, if you browse to it using Windows Explorer, does your machine see it?

6. deetee001

deetee001 Thread Starter

I tried all types of CDs, including the recovery CD but the drive starts humming for 2 seconds 3 times, then stops.

Explorer recognizes the hardware but not the CD in it. I've tried to update the driver but can't find one on the internet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice