1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem w/ new rig- motherboard bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acpo, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

there's more than one thing wrong.

there's onboard video on the card. it doesn't work. however, I get output if I hook the monitor up to the video card, instead of the onboard video.

I can power on, and everything reads okay, but it says I don't have a keyboard- even though the keyboard's plugged in, and works fine on other systems.

third problem, after I power it on and off a few times (trying to adjust things to get things working), it just won't power on anymore. this is temporary. after a few hours it works fine again.

if there's something wrong with the motherboard, it wouldn't function AT ALL, right? is it possible it's something else apart from the mb?

rig:
    Gigabyte ga-k8s760m
    AMD Athlon 3400+ 64
    1 gig DDR
    Radeon 9800 Pro

2. Cadet

Cadet

1st problem . most motherboards are like that the onboard video is disabled when you insert a normal grapchics card.

2nd Problem is it a usb keyboard? If you havent yet loaded windows or usb drivers your pc may have trouble picking it up

3rd Problem what power supply are you running ? as in what wottage

3. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

it isn't a USB keyboard.

300W ps.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First off you will need a new powersupply. 300 watt is not enough for that system, you need at least a 400watt powersupply and it should be a quality unit like Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, Fortron and a number of others.

Next would be to pull the motherboard out of the case and try booting it up using the onboard video. There may be a jumper to disable the onboard video. If you can't get the onboard video and the keyboard working then return the board. Because the boards turns on doesn't mean anything at all.

However the first thing you need to do is get a better power supply before it dies or destroys the rest of your computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice