1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Problem w.shortcut" updater.lnk

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theman, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theman

theman Thread Starter

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'updater.lnk' refers to is unavailable...."

This note comes up at startup now. The only thing I belive I recently did was run HijackThis and AdAware (and clean some things up) AND install Firefox which I'm not even using. Now the icons associated with the URLs in the address bar are the generic Windows icon, but browsing IE (only one I'm using) functions fine, far as I can tell.

How do I address this unavailable updater.lnk shortcut?

Thanks!

2. Roshith

Roshith

You get this error only at startup right??
    to solve this..go to run......type msconfig....then click on the startup tab on the top...in the list below....look for "updater.lnk"....and then uncheck it.
    That should sove your problem.

3. theman

theman Thread Starter

Correct, only on startup.

When trying your instrxns in RUN, I get error message: 'cannot find the file msconfig (or one of it's components). Make sure path, file name are correct and blah available libraries.

Eh? :confused:

Thanks for your help!

4. Roshith

Roshith

What version of windows are you running?

5. theman

theman Thread Starter

2000 Professional

6. Roshith

Roshith

oh.....ok.......thats why the command isnt working...it works only for xp,98 and ME..
    if u can wait a while....i will try to find out the equivalent command for windows 2000

7. Roshith

Roshith

8. theman

theman Thread Starter

Well, I got the msconfig file and unchecked the only item labeled 'updater' but there was no extension on the name. In any event, I've unchecked it and applied/ hit ok and restarted a few times to no avail - I get either a config message on startup noting something about changing a setting to avoid the message, or the same original error.

If I deleted this updater.lnk file via adaware or hijackthis can I get it back or find it online to replace it?

Thanks for your help just the same!

9. Roshith

Roshith

When you remove updater from startup...the next time you restart..it will tell you that you are using selective startup. Just check the box asking not to show the message on the next startup and the problem shouldnt be there any longer.
    And im pretty sure it isnt adware.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice