Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem w/ User Accts

800 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  FLINSGUY 
#1 ·
When I go to Control Panel and open User Accounts I find 3 accounts:

1. Crash7 (Administrator)
2. Guest
3. ASP.NET Machine A... (The full name is truncated)

When I start XP I automatically get the splash screen listing Crash7 as an account to log on to. However, even though the other accounts are listed in the User Accounts they never show up on the splash screen at start up.

What is the ASP.NET.Machine A.... account?? I never saw it before and I'm not sure I know how it got into the system. I did recently install Microsoft's DotNetfx.exe so I could use a program for my business ( insurance quoting software) so it's possible that's the source. I have not been able to log on to either the Guest account or the ASP.NET account. I tried switching users and logging on through the User Accounts window in Control Panel. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

#3 ·
Thanks Emtronics.

I use Time Warner Road Runner cable access. I read the link you provided and that explains the situation.

However, I did not the writerr touched on another issue I wanted to correct:

"The big complaint with there being another user created is that when it is created it will prevent auto logon if there had previously only been one user on the computer. To correct this see HERE."

When I click on the "HERE" link it's dead. Do you know how I can get my auto logon back?

Thanks for your prompt help.

#7 ·
Sorry for the confusion. Click HERE and if the ifo you want doesn't come up (strange site) then click on search on the left and enter; restore auto logon as you search words. This will bring you to the page that explains it.

It is what Bulldog posted above.

#8 ·
Did the "control userpasswords2" action but it didn't help. In fact, my computer hung at the "Starting Windows XP" splash screen. Had to go into Safe Mode to restore it.

Not sure why I can't get this back to before, where I could simply boot the machine and have it start right into windows, but I think it has to do with the ASP.NET.Machine account. I'd delete it but I think it would just cause problems in other areas.

If anyone out there has any other suggestions I'm open. Thanks to everyone who helped.

#9 ·
It is caused by ASP.NET. It plays havoc with XP as Bulldog posted. If you don't need ASP.NET, then via ADD/REMOVE Programs, remove it. See if your system comes back. I think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.