1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem w/Win media player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by junkdiver, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

I've been in the process of transferring my LPs to digital and cleaning up the sound then adding them to Win's media player. The problem that has surfaced is after listing 84 albums I cannot list another album. I have turned off the media service rebooted and media turns itself back on, which I understand it is supposedly not able to do. I have gone thru other methods of trying to fix media player but the problem remains. The only option that I seem to have at the moment is to reinstall windows which I would like to avoid at all cost. I would like to find a way to resolve this issue and avoid a reinstall of windows.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8183 Mb
    Graphics Card: CyberLink Mirror Driver, 7 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (846 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1739 GB Free); G: 3725 GB (3452 GB Free); J: 232 GB (80 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7P55D-E PRO
    Antivirus: ESET Security, Enabled and Updated

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  3. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

I would love to change to another media player but my receiver only recognizes window's media player. I've contacted them to see if they have adopted another media player but haven't heard anything yet.

I tried your suggestion and the problem still remains. I tried turning off media player again and rebooted. As it was reconfiguring on reboot I noticed a message that appeared on the screen "Failure configuring Windows features Reverting changes." With this message I'm not sure what to do next.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Just out of curiousity, what is the brand/model of the Receiver? I don't know of any hardware which is WMP specific. In most cases, you either output audio (analog or digital) from your PC into your Receiver or the Receiver pulls it over the network using DLNA. Neither of which require WMP. The only hardware which I know uses WMP is the Xbox (also a Windows product).

As to your actual issue, could be AV/malware preventing files from being updated. Could also be that Windows is just borked. You can run sfc /scannow to verify/fix Windows system core files.

5. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Receiver is Onkyo TX 8050. The Receiver uses DLNA over the network and requires WMP.
    I had been able to add albums to the library to a point then WMP would not accept another album.
    SFC found nothing.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I don't see it noted above, but I assume that you are using WMP12. According to the Onkyo User Manual, it supports the following:

• Windows Media Player 11 • Windows Media Player 12 • Windows Media Connect 2.0 • DLNA-certified media server

So other media players which also support DLNA (1.5 or higher) should also work.

As to WMP, you could try an uninstall/reinstall as noted here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/261...-media-player-in-windows-7-to-solve-problems/

7. junkdiver

junkdiver Thread Starter

Yes on using WMP12.
    I had tried the suggestion you posted as I described in the 2 post above. Turned off media player, and on reboot I got this message "Failure configuring Windows features Reverting changes." I'll try and find another media player. It has been a while since I set this up and need to unsync WMP from the receiver. If you know of a way to change it let me know, if not don't worry about it I'll find a way to stumble into it.
    Many thanks for you help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice