1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem w/ XP OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wsquared, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wsquared

wsquared Thread Starter

I am running windows XP on my toshiba satellite, I encounter crashes everyday during and after booting. My system is often very unstable in otherwords if I accidentally bump the computer it will crash and begin to reboot. I notice when the computer is stable the sound doesn't work and when it is unstable the sound works and it is likely to crash with even a keystroke. After rebooting sometimes it will ask me to start up in "safe mode" I generally "start normal", I get a "report error message" which I send and it tells me a there is a device driver problem but it can't tell which one or how to fix it. When the computer crashes a blue screen flashes on temporarily with words on it that can't be read because it turns of so quickly. Also unrelated I believe, after the bootup is succesful an error message comes up that says "WJView ERROR: Main - the system cannot find the file specified". I have a feeling I must have dumped a program that my computer continues to look for. I would like to get rid of this message for good if possible. Can you help?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button, and uncheck Automatically Restart. You might also put "None" in the debugging box so that memory dumps don't fill your computer.

That will give you a blue screen next crash. Record the information.

3. wsquared

wsquared Thread Starter

Ok Iv'e done what you said and can read the error message on the blue screen. It's long but I will type the message which you probably have seen.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IROL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is proerly installed. (How do I do that?) If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. ("I've done this pretty much")

Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. (I don't know how to do this.)

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 and select advanced start up options, and select safe mode.

Tecnical info:
    ***STOP:0x0000000A (0x0000124, 0x0000001F, 0x00000001, 0x804F5F63)

beginning dump of phys. memory".

That's it do you think I'm better off restoring my OS I don't want to lose my files.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. It is a bad driver. I'm surprized that it didn't mention a specific driver file, but that happens.

Do you have an XP CD or restore disks from the maker?

Re-installing the OS with a repair installation if you have the XP CD would not cause you to lose anything at all. But it may not fix the problem, either. Let's leave that for later.

Home or Pro? Either way, go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Event Viewer and look through the logs of System and Application to see if you can find any errors that occurred about the time of the crash that are related to the problem.

Any model number on that machine or is a Toshiba Satellite just all there is?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice