1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem watching online video/movie

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Adrian123123, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adrian123123

Adrian123123 Thread Starter

Hey TechGuy community,

I just bought a new Laptop (Lenovo S440), Windows 8.1 64bit, installed the Firefox web browser (35.0.1), downloaded the Adobe shockwave flash (16.0.0.305). Now I am trying to watch a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJlUVCe4VA) on HD 1080p and I am experiencing constant pausing and buffering (around every 30 seconds). My internet connection is above 20mbit/s, so that should not be a problem. I measured it with the Ookla online internet speed test. When watching the exact same video on my brother’s computer on 1080p it works smoothly, he is connected to the same modem as I am. I do not understand why I am experiencing this issues, my Laptop has the Intel i7 processor and is new, he is using an older PC with the i3. I already tried to uninstall the Flash and Mozilla Firefox and reinstall it, but that did not help (But I could not completely remove it in the way they describe it here https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html, because I could not delete the files in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash, it said I needed permission from the TrustedInstaller to delete the files). Why is that? I also compared watching a Twitch stream on the highest quality "Source" on my laptop as well as on his computer, same story, it works smoothly for him but it keeps pausing and buffering on mine every minute or so. I really do not understand why I have this issue, as my laptop should actually be much faster than his. Another big problem is that online movie streams do not work at all, basically every other movie or video streaming website does not work for me, it just keeps buffering and loading. For example https://archive.org/details/97154_hm_eastern_homes keeps buffering for 15-20 minutes before it sometimes eventually starts, on html5 as well as on flash (you can decide which one to use under the video). What am I doing wrong? I also tried the same thing with the Internet explorer but there the same story, the movie does not start and on YouTube it keeps pausing and buffering. Could it be an issue with graphic card drivers or settings or is it the adobe flash playert? It is really frustrating because watching online media is a big part of what I bought this new expensive laptop for.

Regards and thanks for any help,
    Adrian

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Buffering is not a playback issue. Buffering infers the player is not getting the data fast enough. The actual hardware (ie: cpu, RAM, etc.) typically have no affect, assuming you have hardware fast enough to play the content. So the problem is likely network related. As another computer on the network is working fine, this leaves your computer and connection to the router as the possible cause.

Are you using a wired connection or wireless? Which is the other computer using? If you are using wireless, try using a wired connection.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I agree with Oddba11. If the issue is not related to the network, there has to be a problem with your computer.

I don't think it's hardware related as your computer is brand new.

Doesn't seem limited to one browser either.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus or firewall temporarily?

Have you checked to make sure you weren't using a proxy server in your browsers?

4. Adrian123123

Ok, I will try it with a wired connection as soon as I have the possibility to do that. That would still be frustrating because shouldn't 25 mbit/s be fast enough to stream some hd media using wireless? And how do I check whether I am using a proxy server?

5. Phantom010

6. Adrian123123

ok, I set it to "no proxy", on Twitch I am still experience pausing and buffering but I will keep it set to "No proxy" because I don't see a reason to use any kind of proxy.

7. Phantom010

What antivirus and firewall are you using?

Are you having the same problem on other websites with Flash videos?

8. Adrian123123

Avast free antivirus and malwarebytes free. Yea basically on all websites where I watch videostreams with flash I experience pausing and buffering.

9. Phantom010

Try the following:

Right-click inside a running Flash video.

Select Settings...

Select the folder in the middle tab.

Move the slider to the right until it says "Unlimited".

Try the videos again.

10. Phantom010

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Check if your computer has Superfish installed.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2886278/how-to-remove-the-dangerous-superfish-adware-presintalled-on-lenovo-pcs.html
    your S model is not listed but it is still worth checking.

If it is stopping it could be ads trying to load and your protection preventing them from loading.

12. Adrian123123

It did not help really, as it says only "1KB used" or "4KB used" anyway. I checked and I don't have superfish installed - wow if I would have known this before that Lenovo preinstalls adware...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice