Problem when switching identities

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GYurick

When I switch identities in Outlook Express, the program will sometimes get stuck between identities. How can I stop that from happening.

GYurick

Windows 98. And the link you suggested uses terminology I don't begin to nderstand. Better consider me a novice at this stuff. Thanks.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
No problem, we can walk you through it. :)

How many Identities do you have?

Does this describe what happens when you attempt to switch identities?
When you click File > Switch Identities, Outlook Express briefly closes but re-opens without switching to the other Identity.
If so, try this workaround:
A quick workaround is to click File > Identities > Manage Identities

remove the check mark for "Use this Identity when starting a program".

Then instead of clicking File > Switch Identities,
simply close and restart Outlook Express.
You will then see the Identity logon screen and can select the Identity you want.
Let us know if that helps or not.

GYurick

No. OE briefly closes and does not re-open. When I double the desktop icon to get back into it, it tells me it is already running and cannot open a second time. But when I click Ctrl - Alt - Delete, it's not there.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Are you looking for outlook express to show in Task Manager or msimn.exe?

How many Identities do you have setup?

GYurick

I just want OE to quit stalling out when I swith identities. We have 2 identities...mine and my wife's.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Did you try the workaround I posted?

Using the workaround, when Outlook Express is started, you will be presented with the Identities window.
Select the Identity you want to start.
Then when you want to switch to another Identity, close Outlook Express using File > Exit and Log Off Identity and restart Outlook Express to see the Identities window again.

Or you can try creating two new Identities, importing the messages from the old Identities into the new Identities and Removing the Old Identities to see if that helps to make Outlook Express more stable.

Check this setting in Outlook Express:
Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
if there, remove the check mark for Compact messages in the background
this is a default setting that can cause corruption in your .dbx files.
Check each Identity to ensure this process has been disabled.

Try the workaround first, if you are unhappy with that, try creating new Identities.

Let us know what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online