1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem when switching out RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coolos, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I recently got a problem with my computer directly after attempting to replace my RAM. Once I replaced the RAM and plugged the computer back in, I got a long, repetitive beeping noise coming from the computer. In addition, none of its external ports, such as USB or the monitor appear to work. I tried replacing the RAM with the old ones, but I got the same result. Does anyone know what could have caused this?

One more thing. When I do start it up, it seems everything inside is functional. I can hear the fan spinning. I see all of the lights on the outside, and the cd drives work.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what we are attempting to diagnose. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram [both new and old] exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever; post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag# then post that as well.

3. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

4. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

The computer was a Dell Precision 380 P4 3.2GHz model number DCTA

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, a few things come to mind;

1 Something was knocked loose while you were in the case. Go back and reseat the atx and aux pw connectors. Be sure they are fully seated in the mb.

2 Next when you swap ram, the proper way is as follows;
    a Pull the pw cord from the back of the pw supply
    b Now hit the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
    c Swap ram
    d Replace pw cord and pw ON

Modern mb have pw applied all of the time; even when the system is OFF. If you swap ram without doing the above procedure, there is a chance of ESD to the mb, ram, etc.

6. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

I have checked most of the cords, and they all seem plugged in. I have done more research on the buzzing noise, and it seems the pattern is 1-3-2. In addition, the dell diagnostic light on the computer has "1" lit up.

7. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

1-3-2 is a RAM not functioning code. Did you make sure the slots were free of dust when you installed them? If one wasn't all the way in it may have fried that stick or the motherboard. Look at the sticks and see if there's any sign of being burnt.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Honestly if you are sure the ram is fully seated [and you have tried the previously working ram] then the only conclusion is that you damaged something; either mb or all of the ram. I assume you have removed the ram and blown out the slots to be sure there is nothing impeding the ram from seating.

It is either that or what I outlined above ie something was knocked loose while working in the case. In post #5 where I tell you to reseat the connectors, that means remove them and plug them back in. Again making sure they are fully seated.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Precision 380 WorkStation

A 1-3-2 beep code indicates a memory problem.

The #1 diagnostic light on indicates no memory modules are detected.

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you remove ALL pw from the mb before removing/installing ram ie the method outlined in post #5.

11. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

I removed power, but I did not hit the power button. This is probably the cause, and I am guessing the mb is now dead. There are some cords coming out of the power supply that are unconnected, but I believe they were unconnected to start with. They are labeled P8, P9, AND P10. There is also a clear plug. These are all in the same bundle of wires, along with things that are plugged in. Again, I do not think they are related.

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you install non-ECC or ECC modules?

---------------------------------------------------------

13. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

I installed non-ECC modules.

14. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

When you turned your computer back on and heard the beeps did you notice any smell coming from the computer? I fried a mb once by not fully seating a RAM stick and it smelled a bit like a burnt match.

15. Coolos

Coolos Thread Starter

No, there was no smell at all. I also saw no sparks or anything like that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice