1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem when switching users

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markmurdough, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markmurdough

markmurdough Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a long time now. Every once in a while I will set out on a google quest to find the answer but I haven't succeded yet :(

The problem is that whenever I "switch user" (win + L) out of my account for someone else to log on their account, when they try logging off, my monitor acts like if I was putting the computer into sleep mode. That is, it goes black and some messages come up on the screen saying the usual "check power etc" messages and the light flashes. The computer continues to run and there is no way of restoring my screen so I am forced to press the main power button on the computer tower.

I am running windows xp professional sp 2
    My video card is nvidia geforce fx 5500
    Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    1BG RAM
    I run zone alarm and AVG in the background

I have not always had this problem. I don't remember when it started but it has been a long time now (I would say at least 6 months.)

Appreciate any suggestions or information...

2. Sponsor

3. kimsland

kimsland

Screen refresh rate in display settings
    Make sure both users have all the same screen settings

Other than that a screen (lcd ? ) timing fault

4. markmurdough

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that is not the problem :(

Also, my monitor is CRT.

I forgot to add that the problem only happens when the second account attempts to log off while the first account is logged in. If the second account is logged on and the first account is logged off, the second account can log out just fine.

5. kimsland

kimsland

Monitor fault
    Pls try another monitor (ideally) and reply back one day

6. markmurdough

I'll try to get my hands on a friend or relative's monitor one of these days and see.
    If that's the problem at least it will give me an excuse to buy a new monitor, been meaning to do that for a while now but feel it would be a waste as this one still seems to work fine.

7. kimsland

kimsland

Or LCD with connection to your video card (most come with the adaptor to 15 Pin)
    CRT monitors are now listed as obsolete (I like my Dell 19" CRT though)

8. markmurdough

Just want to reply that I finally got myself a new monitor after getting some extra christmas cash. Turns out it was a fault with the monitor because now it works :)

Thanks

9. markmurdough

Update:mad:
    Turns out that wasn't the problem.
    For some reason it worked once, the other person logged off while I was on and it went to the login screen so I declared it a success.
    Yesterday when attempting to log off it just hanged and nothing happened and I couldn't do anything because it would tell me "cannot open xx because windows is shutting down" but nothing ever happened, I was forced to press the restart button on the tower.
    Today while the second user logged off of their accoutn and when I went to the computer I saw the monitor as if the computer was in "standby" or "sleep" mode again but could hear the computer running normally. CLicking or turning the monitor off and on did nothing.

So I'm back at the beginning now again :(

10. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

How much empty disk space do you have?
    Remember that when switch user the files and programs that are running MUSAT be copied to the hard drive and then the new account will open.

You, might want to do a clean restart of your machine and then see if there are any the "Switched User files" that are still there and delete them.

11. markmurdough

Where do I find "switched user files"?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663821