1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with 2 NICs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by paranormal, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paranormal

paranormal Thread Starter

I have two computers, a desktop running Win XP SP3 and a laptop running windows Vista UE. Both the machines have independent internet with different ISPs. The Laptop connects to a wireless network. I recently tried to network the two computers by adding additional NIC to my desktop and wiring it through the router. NIC 1 connect to internet through cable and NIC 2 for Home Network wired to the router. I succeeded in networking the Desktop and Laptop and also disabling internet sharing as i dint want 2 ISP on my Desktop. Now the problem is, on my desktop I have my internet connection working through another Lan card and different ISP, so when I'm connected to both the networks ( Internet and Home Network ) the internet seems to work but not the home network. Neither the Laptop or Desktop can connect to each other ( not even see each other ), though they can ping each other and also the Router. Both my NICs are configured with static IP. Home network works fine when I'm not connected to the NIC 1 connection (Internet) on my desktop. I also removed the default gateway from the NIC 2 connected to home network.

Also another thing that i noticed is that if i connect to the NIC 1 then to make my home network work I'll have to not only disable NIC 1 and Enable NIC 2 ..., but also restart my machine...otherwise it wont work.

Is there a way I can make them both function together and properly.

Thanks For Taking out Time and Reading My Long Post. :)

I have been trying to find a solution since a week but no success...

Plz Plz Plz Help me......

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to do a manual configuration of the direct link.

Configure the direct link's TCP/IP as follows, leave the Internet connections the way they are..

PC #1:
    IP address: 192.168.9.1
    Subnet Address: 255.255.255.0

PC #2:
    IP address: 192.168.9.2
    Subnet Address: 255.255.255.0

Leave the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses blank.

Under Advanced Properties, on the WINS tab, make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Make sure any firewalls are configured to put the 192.168.9.x subnet in the trusted zone.

Finally, you'll have to enable fine/print sharing on the machines and actually share one or more folders or drives.

This should allow Internet requests to go to the ISP connection on each machine, and file/print sharing requests to be handled across the direct link.

3. paranormal

paranormal Thread Starter

THANKS FOR UR RESPONSE..:)

I had done exactly what u said but it dint work. My laptop connects to the router wirelessly and that is also my internet connection. So I had to give subnet on it.
    I have enabled file and printer sharing ( as I said, my network works fine when I'm not connected to he NIC 1 on desktop ).

Also i can't figure out why I need to restart my PC in order to get the Home Network working after I Disconnect from NIC 1 (Internet Connection). Some how i feel that my problem mite be remotely related to this.

Plz give me a solution.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show the following for both PCs for when they are connected to each other and to the internet.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice