1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with a 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jones, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Hey all,

Just finished installing my new motherboard, RAM, processor, and video card. Fired it up no problem, everything seems to be functioning without error EXCEPT when gaming.

Here's the components:
    Asus P4P800-X motherboard
    P4 2.4ghz Northwood B
    1gb PC3200 ddr ram
    420watt Kingwin PSU
    XFX 6800 XT 256mb AGP

I have updated everything, and virusscans come out perfect. New XP SP2 build, all updates installed.

When playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 or Call of Duty 2, the game will freeze to a black screen after about 5-10 minutes of action, then the computer restarts. Doesn't happen when doing anything else.

CPU temps never seem to go above 35 deg C, but the video card gets really hot. Idle reads about 63 degrees, and immediately after restart, it shows about 73 degrees C. The card max temp says it can way higher than that, but I'm wondering if it is overheating. Anyone have any experience with these cards and their typical operating temps?:confused:

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

3. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Yep. That's the one.

What exactly happens in the PSU to cause this? Does it overheat, or are there breakers that trip when the components draw too much power?

4. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Not enough amps on the 12 volt rails to feed your card and other parts correctly I would guess.Same cheap psu in both cases.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

A good PSU will cost you more than the case with the PSU. I am with Pug. Get a power supply.

7. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I wouldn't buy it.

9. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Any particular reason? Seems to get pretty good reviews.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I will probably be OK. I just am wary of a $25 power supply.

The one I am running was $175 but I am pushing allot more hardware than you are.

Like I said, I wouldn't buy it. :D

11. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

I see your point, but I believe the reason they're selling it for $30.00 is it's discontinued and/or nobody wanted a blue and orange psu. The suggested retail is over $150 (if that mean's anything). If it wasn't an Ultra, I'd avoid this like the plague.

I'm going to give them a chance, since I can't find any other alternatives at a decent price that have the kind of reviews this one does. I've had some Ultra brand stuff in the past, and it's always been pretty good. Plus these x-connect PSU's seem to be pretty common, which is a good sign.

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Would they really sell a $152.00 psu for $26.00 if it was worth a damn?

13. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Good question. I guess we'll find out pretty soon. ;)

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The specs actually look pretty good on that one; 34 amp on the 12V rail. I would tend to think it is discontinued because it is only a 20 pin unit.

Do make sure you have a 20 pin board and not a 24 pin board.

15. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

No problem there. It's a socket 478 board, so it's definitely a 20pin connector.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice