1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Acer Aspire laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EWLaska, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EWLaska

EWLaska Thread Starter

hi
    I have a friends acer aspire 5100 that was getting stuck on the wondows login screen.
    So I used GPARTED and saw there were 3 partitions.
    two were 50+ gigs and the 3rd was 4.11 gigs.
    So I used GPPARTED to make one partition.
    So I tried to format it but wouldn't see the drive. So I used GPARTED again and saaw that it wasn't allocated.
    So I then booted with GPARTED again and now have a bigger problem.
    Now it boots with beeps,, one long and two short so is a vid prob now as the screen is black.
    any suggestions on how/what program to use
    to get the drivers to install so I can see the screen?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. ANDI-R

ANDI-R

You have no driver problems.Now you have no OS installed in your PC,but the bigger problem is that you have deleted the partition 4.11GB that Acer set for recovery....
    Now you have to try to install an OS.If any OS disc installer doesn't work
    try to contact ACER company to give original disc or set up again recovery

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    OS or no OS, the beeps indicate a problem encountered during POST. t hasn't even gotten to the point of accessing the HDD to try to start Windows. This is a hardware problem. Not sure how it happened just by deleting drive partitions, but it has nothing to do with drivers or OS.

Did you do anything at all besides monkeying with partitions?

4. ANDI-R

ANDI-R

i went in that thought because he/she said that this problem occured when he/she deleted partitions.Am i right Gr3iz???????

5. EWLaska

EWLaska Thread Starter

I deleted all partitions and only have the one that is 111.7gigs.
    Problem is the screen is black now so can't work on things I can't see.
    :(
    I need a program that is bootable and will install basic vid drivers. I am getting the 3 beeps at startup. One long and two short.....

And fyi.. I'm a female unit ;)

6. EWLaska

EWLaska Thread Starter

and it didn't happen when I first deleted the partitions and just had the one. I shut it down for awhile and when I went back to it and started it up.. that is when I got the three beeps... and black screen. :(

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Nevertheless, the three beeps, and lack of video, have nothing to do with the OS or drivers. There is a hardware issue preventing it from operating at this point. You can try to remove any/all peripherals (HDD, optical drives, etc.) and all but one memory module and see if you can't get some video. You should at least see the manufacturer's splash screen and/or POST.

8. EWLaska

EWLaska Thread Starter

oh and to answer your question about fiddling with anything other than removing the partitions,, no I didn't. All I did was remove the partitions. :(

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It could very well be a coincidence. Removing partitions, alone, should not cause this problem. You can remove the HDD completely, and you should still get something on the screen.

10. zyper95

zyper95

Basically, Acer creates 3 partitions on every computer they make 1 is the main driver where the OS is installed, 2nd is called Acerdata where in you can save or backup your files without being deleted in case you need to reinstall the OS, and 3rd is a hidden partition which is the Recovery Files. This recovery files can be burn on a disc to create your own backup recovery disc. Now if you format the 2nd and 3rd to merge it with the main partition it is possible that the OS has been altered upon merging of the partitions.

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Her current problem has nothing whatsoever to do with partitions, or lack thereof. It's not getting through the POST!

12. zyper95

zyper95

The possibility is that the main drive could have been damage upon merging of the partitions.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But again as mentioned the no video and beeping indicates a hardware problem, not a partition or drive issue. Try reseating the RAM modules or trying them one at a time.

FYI, a drive cannot be damaged by merging partitions.

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Tri6, I couldn't figure out another way of saying it ... ;-)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice