1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with an external hard-drive....

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Nogrial, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nogrial

Nogrial Thread Starter

So my buddy had a virus on his PC..... He never used any anti-spy anti-virus... So he had some help apparently over the phone... managed to get all his important files off onto external drives... So then he wiped his drive in his tower clean and did a refresh install of XP...

I have installed Avast antivirus and superantispyware.... I told him to run a full system scan with Avast... took it 16hrs to check his drive and all his external drives.... Well apparently he also used AVG 8.0... AVG managed to detect the virus that was on the original drive and got rid of it off one of the external drives... how ever his 320g harddrive wont open... It has a "resycled\boot.com" error... Says "resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application. I can't open the drive itself, how ever avast antivirus can still open up the files and do its scan... I am currently letting it run another scan to see if we cant find anything wrong....

Just curious as to if anyone has seen or knows what this is.. I'd assume its a virus program or malware...

Recap:
    Wiped Drive
    Old saved files on external
    New drive clean
    external drives have virus?
    AVG got rid of one, other still infected
    Currently running Avast Anti Virus and SUPERAntiSpyware

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Has one of the AV's been removed? Not only will scans take forever, but they may miss viruses if you have more than one AV installed together and interfering with one another.

Can the external be repartitioned?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice