1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Athlon XP 3200+ on ASUS A7N8XE-Deluxe motherbaord

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olryst, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

Hi, I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with 512mb of kingston ddr 400 ram. I recently put in an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 400 FSB and when I try to play any game, for example battle for middle earth or Half life 2, it crashes shortly after i start it or sometimes it resets itself.
    I had a AMD Sempron 2600+ 333 in it and it worked fine.

I checked the ram with microsoft ram checker and it had no errors.
    All drivers are up to date, the bios is the latest version and I set the bios to optimal.
    The Athlon XP 3200+ Barton is displayed correctly in the bios and when booting.

The same Athlon XP 3200+ Barton works fine in an Abit AN7 motherboard, with playing games as well.

Could someone help please. :)
    Im thinking of putting the sempron back in.

PC Specs:

Windows XP with SP2
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
    Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 400 FSB
    Arctic cooling copper silent 2 heatsink/fan
    512mb of kingston ddr 400 RAM
    Gainward G-Force 4 4600TI 128mb
    Maxtor 80GB harddrive 8mb cache (master)
    Maxtor 200GB hardrive 2mb cache (slave)
    Liteon dvd/cd-rw
    Q-tec 650W triple fan

2. WarC

WarC

Check the temp. in the BIOS, that board should have "PC Health" or similar BIOS option to check voltages/temps. It sounds like a heat issue to me.

Make sure the contact between the heatsink and CPU is good.

Besides that, try reseting the BIOS.

EDIT: I'd also try installing the latest firmware before abandoning the 3200

3. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

When I first start the pc its just below 40 degrees celsius.
    I already tried reseting the bios and Im sure that the heat sink is in properly.
    I tried changing the cpu setting to 166 instead of 200 so it displayed cpu at 2500+ it did not help though.

4. Derrick

Derrick

when your playing a game whats the temp get too? what have you used for a thermal compound?

5. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

Im using silicon thermal paste and Im not at home at the moment so I will have to get back to you later today on the cpu temp while playing games.
    Any other ideas would be most apprecited.

6. Derrick

Derrick

Yeah check the seating of the heatsink again just to make sure.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

What are you doing with my machine? I have pretty much the same rig. Even the same ram. :confused: It does run hot, but mine never crashes like that. The only things different are I have a gig of ram and I am running an antec 430 watt.

Check the temps. Is Q-tec a good brand? It seems to be a UK only type of PSU.

8. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

When I get home i'm going to remount the heatsink to make sure its on proplerly then i'll check the cpu temp.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, do that. On this machine asus probe is right on the money with the bios temps, you'll have to check to make sure yours is right. Then use the probe while you are in windows. Set it to alarm when you hit a critical temp and then play some games.

This A7N8X-E Deluxe is proving to be a good board but this is a new system pretty much. I lost my whole machine last week to a power spike. Thank God for homeowners insurance.:(

The temps are under hardware monitor in the bios.

10. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

When i first booted to windows, when I got back, the cpu temp was 30 degrees celcius.

After a while it went up to 40 degrees celcius.
    I loaded halflife two and played it a little (less then 5 mins)while it was on I went to the desktop and checked the temp it was 42 degrees celcius.

I went back to the game and played it crashed shortly afterwards and when I got to the desktop it was still 42 degrees celcius.

I reinstalled the heatsink/fan it seems to be on properly

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

What do you have your ram clocked at? It will be in the bios under chipset options. If it is set lower than 8 3 3 3 try loosening it up to those settings and try again.

12. Derrick

Derrick

Is that one stick of ram or two 256s?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First question, is the RAM PC2700 or PC3200?

Next, do you have the latest BIOS?

14. digger747

digger747

If you have more than one stick of ram trying pulling one .If that dont help replace and pull the other one. Try different memory slot conbinations.I upgraded my computer ,have same board as you and ran into same thing. Had some crucial pc 2700 that ran fine with 2400 athlon,which runs at a fsb of 133.Upgraded to 2800 barton which runs at 166 fsb and got random restarts and crashed when gaming.Tested fine with mem test.Started pulling one stick and switching around and narrowed it down to a stick of ram.Replaced and no more problems.I found out memory can sometimes pass memory test and still be bad.Good possability you have a stick of memory that runs fine at slower FSB but when cranked up to what it is supposed to run at has problems.

15. olryst

olryst Thread Starter

It is already set to 8 3 3 3

It is one stick of 512

I have the latest bios and it is PC3200 ram

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice