1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with AVG 7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jampot, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I am having problems with AVG 7 as it is not allowing me to update its virus bank. Despite having a broadband connection when I click on 'updates' I get an error message stating that 'internet connection failed'

I am concerned that with a broadband connection I have insufficient protection.

Should I reinstall AVG or is there another solution.

Thanks

Jampot

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Nothing is wrong with AVG - their server is just overloaded with everybody trying to grab the update. If you keep trying it will work.

What I do instead is set AVG to automatically check for updates every morning at 1:00 am. Never had a problem.

3. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest an answer to this problem I am having with AVG updates. I have reinstalled the programme but am still getting the 'unable to establish internet connection' message.

Thanks

jampot

4. somefellow

somefellow

5. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Same here....no worries, though. I had trouble yesterday downloading updates, but they came in fine this morning, when I tried. Must be an extraordinarily busy server, so patience is definitely a virtue ;) :D

6. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Yay to me! 2000 posts (y) :eek: LOL

7. John Burns

John Burns

No problems here updating - I have two home network computers and both are doing fine with AVG updates - use cable connection on both. I just updated a few minutes ago and there was no problem at all. Maybe your ISP is having problems?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    AVG does have some server issues, they always seem busy. Even when they are working the downloads can be slow. Usually the tip is to wait a bit then try again.

You can also download updates manually. AVG has an option to update from file.

Manual update file: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt7.php

Also, go into Internet Explorer and check the Internet connection settings - ie. the Proxy/Lan settings.

9. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Thanks to all who have posted - a quick check on the AVG forums page indicates that there are serious server issues that need to sorted out as a matter of priority...I mean having antivirus software, free or not, that you are unable to update is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I was able finally to update manually but would hope not to have to do this too often.

Thanks again.

jampot.

ps Is it just me or are these glitches related to Ver 7 of AVG. I ran Ver 6 without a hitch :- if it ain't broke don't fix it!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    6 had update problems as well. An occasional problem is not a big deal. Updates aren't released every day anyway and the program is still much more stable the Norton Antivirus and more effective then McAfee.

11. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I wouldn't call a situation where a major software suppliers servers have been down for the best part of a week an 'occasional' problem. Updates are not released every day I agree, however the threat of computer viruses are ever present and the attitude of Grisoft at a time when an evergrowing number of users have 'always on' broadband connections and concequently place an even greater reliance on security software is typical of an organisation that has taken its market for granted for too long.

This approach will ineveitably drive PC users towards the competition (stable or not)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice