1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Belkin Router/Modem Internet Help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lianbria, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lianbria

lianbria Thread Starter

Okay so i got a belkin router that looks like this http://s3.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/up...
    The Router was working for about 5 months semi-perfectly (i had to unplug and replug the power everytime on the router when i wanted my laptop to connect or else i would get unidentified network) when all of a sudden it one day stopped working.
    I tried to see what was wrong and the problem was the Internet Light was flashing orange which meant it was "attempting to connect to the internet." However, it would never connect. I reset the router with the pinhole and tried reinstalling, unplugging all cables, and calling belkin all which still gave me the flashing light. When i plug my computer directly to the modem however, it is able to work perfectly. But when i connect modem > router > computer, then it doesnt work. Ive tried researching on the flashing orange light on the router and couldnt find anything. Does anyone know why it isnt working and how i can fix it? i need my router for...everything.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

for some reason that link doesnot work

can you post the exact Model and any version numers from the router

it may be something like
    F5D8230-4
    and a

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. lianbria

lianbria Thread Starter

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the previous procedure didn't get you at least connected to the router, it could be bad, or you could have some cabling or NIC problem.

Can you post the IPCONFIG /ALL you get after the reset with the computer connected to the router? Does the computer work with a direct connection to the modem? What is the exact make/model of the modem?

From the manual. http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D8233-4&aid=8340&scid=0

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777248