1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with BIOS Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dragonetti, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dragonetti

Dragonetti Thread Starter

Hello

I am new to this board, but not computers. I am currently studying for my A+ Certification and it's coming along well. I have looked in my A+ booklet to see if I can find an answer to my question and I am coming up empty handed. Maybe somebody here can help me out.

I have a situation with the BIOS setup on my computer. I want to go into my BIOS so I can set up my HDs for a Master/Slave. My problem is, once I get into the BIOS setup, it stays there. It will not let me go into the setup and change anything. It would not let me Control+Alt+Delete to reboot either. I don't think the screen is frozen cause the "time" is still running. I have a Gateway 450MHz that I bought 3 years ago. I just can't figure out how to get past this "frozen" BIOS setup screen. Any suggestions on how I can bypass this or fix it?

I have just bought a 40GB Western Digital HD that I want to make into my Master and take my old 10GB and make it into a Slave for bulk storage. I only have less than 1000mb left on my old 10 Gigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dragonetti

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You need to set the jumpers on the drivers for Master/Slave first. What makes you think the BIOS screen is frozen? You won't likely be able to use a mouse. You have to use the keyboard. Try the arrow keys. Look along the bottom of the screen for the key to press to save the settings. It's usually F10 or ESC.

3. Dragonetti

Max,

I know in the BIOS you have to use the keyboard. I have worked in BIOS setup to configure Master/Slave on other computers and never had any problems. It seems my BIOS Setup will not work with the keyboards, it won't allow me to do a warm boot. I have went into my BIOS just now to play with it again and see if anything changed. Still nothing works, the F10 does not work, arrows don't work, nothing. I had to shut down my computer and do a cold boot just to get out of the BIOS Setup.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:cool: Are you entering the BIOS from a cold boot and and pressing the delete, F1 or F2 keys during the boot process?

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Is your keyboard connected through USB? If so, your BIOS may not support it, or you may need to enable it using a PS/2 keyboard.

6. Dragonetti

Max,

You gave me something to think about and I did some playing around. My keyboard is a Logitech keyboard with a USB connection. I have used the adapter that connects to the USB to make it a PS/2 to be able to use it for my normal computer use. So what I did was take off the PS/2 adapter and put the keyboard into the USB slot and check the BIOS setup and it worked. Thanks for your assistance.

Another thing is I can't keep the keyboard on the USB connection cause it won't work for my normal Windows use. USB works for my BIOS setup, and PS/2 works for my normal computer use. not vice verse. It's no biggie, now I know if I have to go into my BIOS setup I have to put my keyboard into my USB port.

Thanks,
    Dragonetti

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice