1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with BIOS video driver etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prakhargr8, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prakhargr8

prakhargr8 Thread Starter

I have a Pentium 4 2.4B GHz, 256 MB RD RAM and GeForce 4 Ti4600 (ASUS V8640 Ultra) on an Intel D850EMV2 board.
    Recently I opened up my CPU and disassembled it to clean it as there was a lot of dust in it. I removed the heat sink and the processor and as the vendor from whom I had brought the system had not applied any thermal paste I applied some on it. I than resembled the CPU. After resembling it when I booted the system it showed "CMOS battery low", so I replaced the battery. But even after replacing it with a new battery it showed the same. Than it booted after several times of restarting. I previously had Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 SE on different Partitions. On the boot menu it was showing them both but some of the letters were changing every second one second it shows ?Windows XP Professional? and than it shows ?WindCws XP Professional? and then again ?Windows 98 Second Edition? changes to ?Windows 98 SecCong Edition? and many other lines in the boot menu were changing. In the BIOS setup menu it was constantly showing red dotted lines. When I executed ?WindCws XP Professional?, Windows XP booted. But it was problematic (Hanging etc). I reformatted the hard disk (60 GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV) and installed Windows XP Professional from a new CD. The installation was successful. I than installed all the drivers but when I installed the NVIDIA driver (43.45) and restarted the system it always restarted after going to the desktop. I had to restart the system in Safe mode and remove the driver. In error reporting it showed that the system instability was caused by the driver and than it showed ?The system has recovered from a serious error?. In Windows too similar to the BIOS setup it shows dotted lines but they are yellow. As I?m typing this it is showing the lines. How can I correct the problem? Please help.

2. Sponsor

3. slipmatt

slipmatt

Do you have the Ti4600 or the Processor overclocked ? normally getting these coloured dots or artifacts on even the BIOS screen seems to point to this, or maybe you didn't refix the cooling system properly after applying the thermal paste ? try removing a side panel, maybe getting a small fan to blow cool in air, also have you tried the 44.03 Detonators ?

4. prakhargr8

I do not have anythimg ov clocked and i also have 2 xtra fans installed

5. zeddy

zeddy

What PSU do you have at what wattage?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most P4 heatsinks don't use thermal paste just a pad - it's not neccesary on Intel Stock Heatsinks. I would check all the connections inside the computer - especially the video card seating and the RAM - reseat all. Also make sure all fans are spinning. To get rid of the CMOS error you MUST enter the bios, load the Defaults and save the settings - this always has to be done after replacing a CMOS battery.

7. dai

dai

check the cpu cradle it can spread when you pull down the levers squeeze from the sides if you here a click as it sqares up you will know that is the cause

8. prakhargr8

all my hardware is fitted and seated properly i think it is my video card as the driver too is generating problem i'll check a friend's video card on my pc and tell you later. my pow supply is 300 Watts

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139938