1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Problem with BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skpappish, May 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. skpappish

skpappish Thread Starter

I have been trying to update my computer's bios so I can boot from USB, but it wouldn't let me update it. I have a Dell Optiplex GX260. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell OptiPlex GX260 desktop is a very old model.
    The last BIOS update for it is version A09 which was released in February 2005.

If you would explain in detail what you're trying to do, someone here may be able to help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. skpappish

skpappish Thread Starter

Ok, I was going to update the BIOS to A09 but it wouldn't restart on it's own.

4. skpappish

skpappish Thread Starter

I saw another BIOS topic on this site. I will say if it works or not.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't replied to the above comment from post #2, so we still don't know what you're trying to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. skpappish

skpappish Thread Starter

I already tried that. It doesn't restart by itself. When I force it to turn off, it says that it is attempting to update it but it doesn't update. Is there a way I can get it to restart? Do I need to create a disk?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Not sure if this model has this ability since it's old, but if you have the BIOS update file on the USB, restart the computer then press F12 to get the menu and then hopefully you should have the BIOS Update option. You should be able to update that way if it's there.

EDIT: it doesn;t but you should still be able to do it with the USB by changing the boot sequence to USB first:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r89214

(about 1/4 way down)

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  11. skpappish

skpappish Thread Starter

THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!! I deleted some kind of adware and it was keeping the computer from restarting. I did the BIOS setup and IT WORKED! Thanks to all of you that helped me!:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice