1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Booting/Repairing/Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FretsAndChords, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FretsAndChords

FretsAndChords Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have an Asus EEE PC 1001PX running Windows XP which wouldn't boot, displaying the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

I researched a lot about this problem, and concluded that the best thing would be a repair. And so, having no CD/DVD drive, I made a bootable USB Flash Drive with the Windows XP installation, and slip streamed into it the SATA drivers. However, the screen showing me the currently installed OS and allowing me to repair it never displayed, and so I couldn't make an automatic repair. Therefore I tried repairing the system using the Recovery Console Repair option. The problem I encountered here was that while I was able to rename ntfs.sys into ntfs.old, I was given an Access is Denied when I tried to copy the new ntfs.sys on the drive using this line: copy D:\i386\ntfs.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers.

Therefore, I gave up and made a format followed by a clean install of Windows XP ...... encountering yet a new problem when the installation completed and the system restarted. The new error message is now as follows:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

The solutions I read about involve yet again booting from the pen drive and making some amendments using the recovery console. However I cannot do this since the error screen pops up as soon as I boot from my flash drive.

Can there be something wrong with my hard drive? Or my XP Installation CD? However I have installed windows from it several successful times.

I know that there are a lot of posts regarding these problems, but neither of them seems to address my problem directly. I really appreciate any help from you guys.

Many thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

did you use the default format or do you a custom formatting?
    if so, just try a normal install without customizing the hard disk.
    if every time you boot after install the os fails, find some software that can be bootable and delete the MBR (master boot record) of your disk. WARNING your disk will lose any partition. if you have a partition with a data or data backup will be lost also. do it carefully.

4. FretsAndChords

Thanks for your reply. I used the default format.
    The problem is that I cannot even try the format again because the error message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file. is showing as soon as i try to boot from the flash drive. I really can't understand why, since the problem seems to be in the hard disk contents not the flash drive contents.

5. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

ok let me ask, did you installed the windows on a IDE-SATA etc disk or a flash, pendrive, usb disk the windows?
    windows its made to not be able to boot up from any usb disk. even windows 7. you must install it on a normal hard disk.
    if you converted the usb flash into a bootable disk to install windows thats another issue. tell me witch one of the two was the case if not both???

6. FretsAndChords

I converted the USB flash drive into a bootable disk, since the netbook does not have a CD Drive

7. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

what program did you use???

8. FretsAndChords

9. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

mmmmmm...
    well thats kinda of tricky. do you really need those drivers or without them the windows setup can boot anyways?
    if thats the case, use a clean install instead of inject those drivers.
    before do that, did you see that the wintoflash adds a boot menu to the usb right?
    first the blue screen windows setup
    the 2 option the 2 part of the setup
    the 3 one i think its a debug option that does not need to be used.
    try boot from the usb and choose the 2 boot. maybe your hard disk does not own its own boot just yet. this is a tweaked installation.

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think you need to buy an external USB CD ROM and try a repair from your XP CD. Alternatively, you could use a Linux OS, run as a Live CD, to see if that can mount the hard disk, which seems to have a problem.

It may be that the problem could be cured by running Checkdisk so it could also be worth downloading RC.ISO on to your flash drive.

11. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

in my opinion, if he does not have a partition with any valuable not backed up data, he should just delete the MBR (master boot record) my hard drive was bricked. every 5 minutes on windows 7 a total system permanent freeze with studdering sound, and on xp a blue screen that could not even be finish of writing since the same bios rebooted the pc itself, some last windows order in the critical crash.
    was ready to trow away the disk. since does not have any data (i back up some configs etc) as last resource deleted the MBR and the hard disk its working perfectly.
    this was a SATA II samsung drive of 160 gbs. well it is since its the one that i am currently using to run windows xp.
    but you need some bootable or linux program on the live cd to delete the MBR of the disk, after recovering any valuable data.

12. FretsAndChords

hi again..
    i took the laptop to a technician friend of mine who tried to format the hard disk using an external USB CD drive .... but with no luck. A blue screen describing a hard disk error popped with every attempt. It seems the hard drive is corrupt.
    ..... at least I learned some new things.
    thanks a lot for your help

cheers

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990544