1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jwalk, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwalk

jwalk Thread Starter

My computer is windows XP and pentium 4. I had problems with booting the computer for a few months now and has gotten worst. When I press the reboot button, I hear the PC running, but the monitor is just blank. I had to click the reboot button MANY times before it starts, and whenever it does, I hear a beep sound and this green light flashes from the CD drive. After a few months later, I did it again but this time I don't hear the beep or see the green light flashing. So I figured out a way to make it work, and it was by clicking the reboot button like 10 times, then switching the back switch on the PC off, then turn it back on and reboot again once. So I was wondering if there's a problem with the monitor(about 9 years old),the graphic card(renewed it recently) or something else.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Think I would have the power supply tested, and perhaps switch the CDROM drive if the power supply checks OK...

You can switch a power supply, but if someone has a tester, it's much simpler.

Of course, check all the cables and components inside....and, blow out the dust.

If you are not aware of what to do for anything, please ask!

A power supply tester just plugs in to the supply, after supply is disconnected from the motherboard, normally I disconnect all other drive power cables as well...when you plug the power supply in, if it has an On/Off switch, change to power up and see if the tester shows all green lights....any red means bad power.

You don't even have to pull the supply out of the pc to test. Most good tech places, even stores, will test power supplies for free. Call ahead, and see what they would prefer, in the case or just bring in the supply itself.

Could also be the motherboard chipset about to reach end of life cycle.

Make sure all the fans work> you have observe them spinning, have a side cover off when running.

3. jwalk

jwalk Thread Starter

the power supply was used for only 2 years, and if there was a problem with it, wouldn't there be hot air coming out from it? it had happened before but didnt effect with the booting. my dad says the graphic card could be the problem, but i doubt it because he just renewed it a few days ago. im thinking its the monitor with the problem since its very old.

4. Byteman

There might be heat from a bad power supply, but not always.

In other words, bad power supplies will turn on, fan spins, but things don't work correctly....

Some may create an on and off again surging noise....

Yes, your monitor is suspect, but it's far more common to be something else.

Yes, the video card could be the problem, sometimes they wiggle up out of the slot.... most of the new ones come with a way to lock them down into the AGP slot if you have that type.

If the card wiggled up out of the slot a little, the symptom is
    the computer boots up, but you don't get any display.

This same symptom, if you had an on a chip video device, usually is seen when the motherboard chipset is dead.

You'll have to rule things out as you go, no one can tell what it might be from here!

5. jwalk

jwalk Thread Starter

where can i find the graphic card?

6. Byteman

If you mean, the actual video device, it depends on whether you are using an added in video card, or have a motherboard that is using an onboard video chip...both produce the picture you see on screen.

If you look along the row of ports where things are plugged into the motherboard....the cards are at ninety degrees to the motherboard, and if the monitor cable plugs into the video port along the board, you have an onboard video chip type, and if it's at 90 degrees, it's an added in video card.

The video device is whatever type the monitor cable goes to.

That would be the one you are using at the moment.

An onboard chip cannot wiggle loose, but an added in card, can.

Be sure you are all shut down, unplug the power cord from back of computer, before you open the case.

Don't handle the cards by anything except along the very edges, and put it back in the same location, snugly down in the slot.. and replace any screw or other holddown device like a cable tie or clip.

I have seen one AGP video card, that was made too thin, or else the slot on the motherboard was wider than normal, and the card slipped around and came loose when the pc was moved. Owner had to change cards.

When I bought my first computer, it arrived with the video card up so no video displayed, simply pushing it back down into the slot corrected the problem.

7. jwalk

jwalk Thread Starter

they seem to be in place, no wiggles.
    i think maybe something burnt out, since the computer has been on for a very long time(about 5 months).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice