1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Canoscan Lide 670U

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philtivvy, Jul 27, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

The computer I am having trouble with is Windows XP professional version 5.1.2600 Service pack 3 build 2600.
    I quite like Xp and wish to continue using this computer on Xp for as long as possible but following a house move I am having a problem reinstalling a flatbed scanner not used for a long time.
    Windows device manager tells me the device is working properly but any application I try to use tells me that it is unable to communicate with the scanner.
    On one occasion I actually managed a scan but all instructions and notes were in Italian and not much help and I was unable to repeat this scan.
    I am fairly sure this is a driver problem, the device manager lists no fewer than 24 drivers 17 by Canon, 1 by Microsoft and 6 unknown.
    Canon website lists only one driver, there are several different drivers listed by device manager the most common being version 7.0.3.0.
    I have cd for this scanner in German, Dutch and Italian, I have another cd for aLide 25 in English and on the computer I have downloaded the driver listed by Canon.
    Can I delete all of the drivers listed for this device or are other devices using the same drivers?
    If I can do this I can reinstall using the Canon driver,,,,,,,I hope!!!!
    Can anyone offer advice as to what I should do next?
    regards
    phil

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi Plodr
    Thank you for your interest.
    I think my problem is not that I do not have a driver, more likely I have too many drivers and the new hardware wizard is picking the wrong one.
    I also noticed that I installed the Canoscan tool box during my efforts to install, I thought it possible that the drivers for this software were taking precedence over the actual scanner. Anyway I uninstalles the toolbox.
    Now I would like to get rid of all the unneeded drivers and start again but I do not want to delete something I might need elsewhere.
    My thinking is that the one driver from Microsoft is a standard Twain driver supplied with XP and all the others are the result of me repeatedly trying th install th scanner so I should be OK keeping that and deleting everything else.
    If that is correct I will go ahead.
    regards
    phil

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry, I don't know. I haven't run XP in so long and I rarely ever touch drivers so the last time I had to uninstall a driver was a very long time ago.

5. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    It must be difficult dealing with a Luddite like me but I do appreciate your effort to help me.
    Since starting this thread I have deleted some references to the scanner in Windows explorer.
    On the plus side I do not have any references to scanners I am not using, however neither do I have any reference to the scanner I am using, I have not tried installing the specific driver listed on the Canon website, that will be my next move.
    Under imaging devices in control panel I found a dialogue box which included "Test scanner", This reported that the scanner was imaging correctly.
    I installed the correct version of the scanner toolbox and this does not show any "source" as being available.
    I would like to delete all the drivers shown in device manager but Cannot do this as they are described as being "in use".
    Any further advice would be helpful
    regards
    phil

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you google deleting drivers in use, you won't find a references to XP.
    Perhaps you can read through some for Windows 7 and see if that advice works for you.

If I wanted to delete drivers and couldn't do it, I'd boot a linux USB stick and see if I could remove them that way. I'm not sure if it works with drivers. I've used Porteus linux to remove files that Windows would not allow me to delete, remove, rename, or move to the recycle bin.

7. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    Sorry to be so long replying.
    Some years ago I had a problem deleting a file and I found a utility that would run before Windows started up but mainly due to old age I have forgotten the name of the utility. All I can remember is that even for me it was very easy to use. If anyone out there can recall the name of the utility, and if it is still available I would be grateful.
    regards
    phil

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    MoveOnBoot, WhoLockMe (I won't give a link because it only works on XP and older), Unlocker (3 different programs have this name)?
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/emco_moveonboot.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tizer_unlocker.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/free_file_unlocker.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_unlocker.html

I've used several of these type programs and unfortunately on Windows 7, they did nothing to remove a stubborn file. I resorted to booting a linux live USB stick and destroying the file in linux.

9. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Thank you plodr.
    I have found a site that suggests trying to delete in safe mode, I will try that first as that is within my pay grade.
    If that fails I will try your suggestion.
    As to the Linux solution that is way beyond me, some years ago I installed Southern Universities version of Linux on an old computer to see what it was like, and decided that it was not for me.
    regards
    phil

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!