1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with CHKDSK (scan for error)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fly_parvaz, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fly_parvaz

fly_parvaz Thread Starter

Hi guys

After i have assigned my Windows XP to have c drive auto fix with the chkdsk function, and reboot, it as usual chkdsk my c drive and said to be rebooted again. Then the windows XP can't boot up after showing the first screen with a moving horizontal bar, it all turns black, no hard dsik moving, until I reset the pc. Then, I can only choose to use the last known hardware config and ok again, but have to reinstalled some stuff such as my mouse driver. BUT, but fron then on, every time I manual a chkdsk, it all happens again. Can anyone help?. Ths a lot

:confused:

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

3. fly_parvaz

Please I am not very good in this matter . please step by step explain what should I do , I did install recovery Console and when I reboot the computer it cam two choices for me the first normal xp ans second was Recovery.... and I did second one then it came something like MS-DOS and then ask for to put some numbers of my choice and I didn't see anything like RUN to put your order . please explain it to me and inform me .

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

When you get to the recovery console-that it the MS-DOS looking thing...

Type in "chkdsk /r" (without quotes) and press Enter. The process will run and when it's complete, type "EXIT" (without quotes) and it will reboot the PC and hopefully things will be back to normal.

Good Luck!

ST

5. fly_parvaz

Dear SexyTech

I did try that 2 times compeletly to be sure and it showed he did repair thoese errors and 100% compelete but the problem still exist . I don't know what should I do more , I am sure there is some way to fix this problem .

thanks for your time . If u got any Idea please inform me .

6. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

Sounds like there may either be some type windows corruption or a hardware issue.

find out what brand of Hard Drive is in the system and go to that drive maker's website and download their Diagnostics program and check the hard drive for problems.

Good Luck!

ST

7. fly_parvaz

Hi again

Please explain to me download area , Where or what software is that to download (Drive maker's website). And I just read the system information and I see this . Hardware Abstraction Layer => Version=5.1.2600.1106.(xpsp1.020828-1920) . Is this My hard drive?

regard

8. SexyTech

SexyTech

If you open Device Manager
    (Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab)
    look in the section marked "Disk Drives" and it will identify what brand of hard drive you have. it will say Maxtor, WD(western Digital), Western Digital, Quantum, IBM, or something else.

Once you determine who makes the hard drive that is in your PC, go to that drive maker's website. If it's Western Digital it's www.westerndigital.com

you should see a link on their website for diagnostic program. Western Digital's is called "Data Lifeguard", Maxtor's is called "PowerMax".

Download the file and follow the instructions that are provided to test your hard drive.

9. fly_parvaz

Dear sexy T

Thanks again for reply . My Disk drivers is WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 and ny guessing is like u said (western Digital ) and I did download the Data Lifeguard V10.0 and I did follow the instruction and It was to choices one install drive and othe one to test I guess the I did the test and result was no errors . Did I do everything right?

Other main question is ( No way to scan disk with fix errors without restart the computer , like win ME and ... I think many people they are not happy to restart computer.)

Thanks again for your time

10. SexyTech

SexyTech

Try having it make the Bootable Floppy Disk and boot the pc with that and test the drive again.

in most cases, it's actually better to test the drive by booting to a floppy disk & running it that way.

Note: run the Quick Test and the Extended tests BOTH!
    DO NOT USE THE WRITE ZEROS OPTION!

11. fly_parvaz

Dear Sexy T

I did excatly like you said and it was no error to report . I don't bother you anymore , thanks for your try , is possible some software i did install causes this problem . I didn't want format or reinstall , but when i got problem i think i should do it , i am not the person go to easy way to format , but some problem is strange.

thanks again

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice