Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Chrome/Internet

776 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I have tried for the last few weeks to get onto Chrome and even Internet Explorer on my laptop so my kids could get their work done. When I click on the icon the window opens up to go to the internet but it stays white and has the hour glass turning forever and then it says its not responding. I don't know how to fix it. Please help.

#5 ·
My phone, my 2 daughters tablets (but its hard for my youngest to do her school work on hers) that's why I was gonna let her use my laptop to do her school work but it's not working. It shows that its connected to the wifi and has access but it won't load and keeps saying its not responding after trying to load forever.

I wanted to add that the connection on all other devices work just fine. There's no problems with the internet on them just my laptop.

#6 ·
Try this ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

#13 ·
I'm out of ideas. If it were me I'd be going to the "nuclear" option--reinstall Windows or "recover/restore to factory defaults."

Actually, if it were me I'd be re-imaging from my most recent backup, but am guessing that you do not have one.

#14 · (Edited)
I have whatever comes with the laptop. To be completely honest I don't like doing or adding or uploading anything that has to do with programs are anything remotely important because I'm afraid I'll mess something up. The only thing I have ever added to this laptop was a few games for my kids, pictures and music that's it everything else on it came with it from the store.

#15 ·
Comcast is my ISP but I purchase my own modem and router.
I also run Windows 7 (on four computers in the house) but I don't use IE nor chrome.

What version of Chrome are you running? I know if you can't get on the internet, you can't update it. But if you manage to get on, the current version for Windows is 80.0.3987.163 which was released on 2020-04-03.

I see that chrome can say "not responding" because of the DNS cache.
1. Right click a command prompt and select run as administrator.
2. Type
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
note the space between the g in ipconfig and the dash /
3. It should say Successfully the DNS resolver cache

Reboot then see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.