1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with church network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by covchurch, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

We are having a problem with one of the computers in our church. The user has been out of the office for two weeks and now she can't use the internet or get her email. None of the other computers are having a problem. The self-test ping comes back fine. And I can ping her computer from the server, but I can't ping the server from her computer. Accessing the internet just results in the Page Not Found error. Her Outlook generates an error that the mail server could not be found.
    The guy who used to keep things going for us has moved. I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice! Thanks.

2. telepro21

telepro21

Can you tell us a little about the operating system of the PC?
    Also, can you get the IP configiyration of the PC? (For Win98, use Start-->Run-->winipconfig then check for the ethernet card settings. For Win 2000/XP, Start-->Run-->cmd, then in the resulting DOS window, type ipconfig at the prompt and press return.

3. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

Hi! The computer in running Windows 98. The server is running Windows 2000 server.
    The IP address for the computer is 192.168.1.8.
    Do you need the subnet mask and default gateway? I can get them tomorrow.

4. telepro21

telepro21

Hmm......when you attempt to ping the server from the Win 98 machine, what result do you get? (Destination unreachable or some other message?) It's intresting to note that from the server you can ping the Win98 computer but going the other way you cannot ping the server. It sounds as if the Win98 machine does not have a gateway assigned or it is the wrong address. This would account for both the Page Not Found error and the Outlook inability to find the mail server. It would be interesting to compare the IP settings from the Win98 machine with another PC on the network that IS working (not the server in this case) to see what the gateway and mask information might be on the PC that does work.

5. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

I've just compared the gateway and mask info to another computer that is working. They are the same as the one that is having problems.
    Another piece of the puzzle is that I can access files on the server. But still no internet or email.
    What is the next thing to check?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Are the computers getting an IP address via DHCP or are they static IP addresses? Check to make sure you have the correct DNS entries listed when you do a winipcfg.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping the worksation's IP address from the server but not the othe way around then likely the IP information is correct.

Some common causes of this are a defective network card, bad cable, bad port on the hub/switch, corrupted TCP/IP files.

For the first three, try using known good ones.

To replace TCP/IP on a Win98 computer:

1. Temporarily add another protocol like NetBEUI
    2. Remove TCP/IP
    3. Reboot
    4. Then do the reverse. This will copy over the necessary TCP/IP files.

Make sure you have the source files available for Win98 for this.

8. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

Thank you for this advice! I hadn't been thinking about hardware problems. I only had a few minutes tonight. But I did try moving to a different port on the switch. The person who set up the system ran two lines to each office, but then didn't document what went where. So there are about 6 runs which come into the patch panel and we don't know where they go. I was hoping to figure out which was the other line into the office. I'll be going back over there tomorrow. When I plugged everything back the way it was, then I couldn't see the server anymore. Could this mean that a port or the connections to a port might be bad?
    What does it actually mean when the green light next to the port on the switch turns on? The light came on with one of my attempts at finding the other line, but the computer still had no access.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Having lights is kind of a reverse troubleshooting thing.

What I mean by that is that if you don't have lights, you won't have a connection.

Having lights mean you only probably do. I've seen many instances where the lights on the hub and network card were light but there was still a hardware problem.

That is why I recommend using a known working network card, cable and port on the hub. Then you at least eliminate any of those as being possible sources for the problem.

10. matrix1000

matrix1000

Sometimes hubs lock up try unplugging the hub/switch for a minute then plugging it back in. check for any firewall software installed and turn it off..

try using another Ip address like 192.168.1.80 etc to make sure another device doesn't have the same ip by accident. and/or turn off all pc's and turn on only the affected pc and see if it can get out.

see if you can ping any other devices on the network like the other pc in the office... including your gateway or www.google.com etc. Try to ping the affected pc from another pc on the network if that works well its probably something further down the line like a switch or router etc.

install adaware and get the latetest update and make sure some rogue program hasn't messed with anything.

What kind of connection do you have to the internet? is your gateway/router blocking it via any settings?

11. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

I've learned a little more tonight, but it is still not working. Today someone took the computer to a shop where the network card was tested and they said it was okay.

I've just tried bringing a laptop into the office. Using the same port and cable as are used by the computer that is having problems, the laptop connected just fine.

I can now ping the server and other computers in our office network from the bad computer. The IP addresses are assigned automatically.

Do you have anymore suggestions? I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the tcp/ip protocol.

Thanks.

12. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

One thing I haven't tried is Adaware. We already had it installed on her computer, but it hasn't been updated in a couple weeks. I'm not sure how to download an update to another computer and transfer it to hers.

13. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Has anything changed recently (Software installs, firewall updates, upgrades (server and client) etc.?

14. covchurch

covchurch Thread Starter

Nothing has changed recently.
    Someone here has suggested that I need to reinstall Windows. Does that sound right to you?
    If it does, do you think I need to do a clean install?

Thanks!

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

If there is nothing needing to be saved... then that might be a good way to go. I find that sometimes windows does somthing, and no matter how much you beat your head against the wall, it does not work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice