Problem with Clients Logging In

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maverick07

Okay, I had one of my servers crash, so I had to load the backup onto my second server (Windows 2000). My DNS was also ran on the server that crashed so I'm pointing everyone to another DNS server that we can use. Everyone is mapped to the new drives containing the first servers files.

Clients are using XP and 2000. Some have roaming profiles and others do not. I have two users on two machines and I can not get them to log onto the network properly. For user A (XP), when logging in they get a message saying that the computer can not locate the profile on the server. I have checked the path in the Active Directory and it's fine. If you scroll down, there is more information saying detail and a compromised security issue. So if you press ok, they log on with the local cached profile. I then try and map a network drive, but the computer just sits there and then a minute later (about) I am presented with a logon box. If I put in User A's log in information, I get a message saying the computer already tried that. I can not even use the administrator log in information. I get an error message with that too. What's going on here?

I do have an error in my Event Viewer on the server:
No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain XXXXXX. The following error occurred:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Now the second user can log in just fine, profile loads (takes forever though), but has the same problem as User A when mapping the drives.

Any ideas or things I should check? I'm at a loss here. The other users in the building with roaming profiles, their profiles are taking forever to load and I have cleared the temp internet files for them.

Thanks,
Lance

You may need to join their computers to the domain again if their computer does not show up in Active Directory. Does your drive mapping happen via a login script? It also sounds like their user accounts are not set up correctly on the new server.

Maverick07

Rockn said:
You may need to join their computers to the domain again if their computer does not show up in Active Directory. Does your drive mapping happen via a login script? It also sounds like their user accounts are not set up correctly on the new server.

The thing is, the server that holds the active directory and all the profiles, is the server I'm running off of now. Therefore none of the profiles/users/settings has changed due to the server crash. That I know of, my drive mapping does not happen via a login script. The computers do show up in Active Directory. Should I delete them and add again? I tried remaking the user accounts with no luck.

Thaks,
Lance

The taking forever to load sounds more like DNS than anything. Have you doublechecked all of the dns settings within IPCONFIG on the clients and ensured that your backup DNS server config has all the correct DNS entries in it? Also have you done a ping by machine name and ensured you get the FQDN?

I am assuming your using DHCP or are you using static IP addressing? If your using DHCP then ensure you have had an IPCONFG /release and renew done as they may have old leases with the old DNS information.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts