1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Compaq system recovery disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anthony_JK, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anthony_JK

Anthony_JK Thread Starter

I am having a huge problem regarding restoring my Compaq Presario PC using Windows XP.

I recently attempted to do a total clean reinstall and recovery using the recovery disks supplied with my PC.

However, whenever I insert the first disk, it froze nearly halfway through the partition setup and gave me the warning "I/O error or CD-ROM read error; Press any key to continue."

When I attempt to continue, it reboots to a black screen indicating "No disk drive set or partition corrupted; press "R" to begin system recovery." When I do, it starts the partition setup....and then freezes as before.

I was able to purchase what I thought were some recovery disks that fit my PC, but when I attempted to load the first disk, I got a "I/O disk error" message.

Is there anything I can do to at least set the partition so that the new disk set I purchased can work?? Is there a boot CD disk I can use to reset the partition? Or....will I have to simply buy a new hard drive or a new CPU??

Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wit's end.

Anthony

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Where did you get the recovery disks from?

3. Anthony_JK

The original recovery disk set came with the PC I purchased from a friend. I just ordered the new disk set from RecoveryCDs.com; they came in today.

Anthony

4. Megabite

Megabite

How old is the PC?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of that Compaq Presario? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number on the sticker is.

Here is a good place for purchasing a recovery CD/DVD kit for an older HP/Compaq.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Megabite

Megabite

Is the CD rom working correctly??

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That was my thought too.

Make sure the tray and sensor are clean and not covered with dust or grime.

Insert an audio or data CD in the drive and see if it can be read.

------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Anthony_JK

The product number is PP104AA-ABA, and the computer is 6 years old.

The CD-ROM seems to be working OK.

Maybe the problem is the drive not being formatted?

9. Anthony_JK

Oh..and the model # is Presario SR1218NX.

10. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

One thing that the HP/Compaq Recovery directions that come with sets I have ordered tell you (perhaps not with the ones you have) is to press "F" key when you see the message to press "R" for Recovery- this stands for Full Recovery, which formats the drive and usually will re-build the recovery partition, then install everything as it was from the factory.

Try!

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Just in case you need to purchase another recovery CD kit, you can order it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice