1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with computer case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kartracer087, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kartracer087

Kartracer087 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

This is my first post, so I will try to make this as good as possible! I just built my own computer which consists of a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo 6850 Conroe (3.0Ghz 1333 FSB) 500 watt UltraXfinity power supply dual 12V rails, Ballistix ram sticks for 2GB ddr2, Seagate 250GB Sata, and Foxconn Nvidia 8800 GTX card. Both me and my friend built this computer (he is more knowledgeable so he did most of the work while I learned). We assembled everything properly and attached it to the case, plugged in every wire nescessary and it didn't boot. We double and triple checked to make sure that all the basic wires were attached properly (trust me, we really checked stuff!) and it still didn't boot, so he decided to unhook everything except for the motherboard and its power supply cable and he tried to jump the Power button leads with a screwdriver to hot wire it and it didn't turn on. At this point, we figured we had a motherboard failure, but we took it out of the case and plugged it in and it fired up right away. In fact, I am typing this message right now and it is all assembled outside of the case and it is working great! I played some games with it and it also ran fine and Power supply unit is giving enough voltage/current/wattage for everything so that isn't the problem. We are stumped and nobody else knows what is going on because many of my friends are studying to be computer engineers and they have built their own systems and have never seen this happen before. By the way my case is a brand new Cooler Master Mystique 632.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch

Your case is metal right?

Make sure the board is not shorting on the case, make sure the screws are not in contact with the case from the motherboard in anyway. You may want to try placing a ruber or plastic washer inbetween the screw and the motherboard to see if that helps.

Good luck!

3. Kartracer087

Hey,

Thanks for the ultra quick reply! We did have it working for a while when we put a foam like base under the motherboard, which worked with no screws, but when screwing it down it did not work. Perhaps I need to try putting rubber gromits on the heads of the screws so it doesn't conduct?

I'll give it a try soon and let you know!

4. Kartracer087

Well,

I tried to put my friends motherboard in the case and amazingly it worked fine. I don't know why mine won't work, I tried putting a nonconductive material between the standoffs and the board but still it doesn't work... I take it and put it out of the case and it is working fine, which is leaving me clueless....... I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the motherboard but I don't know. I may give the manufacturer a call later once I find the dang instruction manual which I stashed away somewhere... I may also call the manufacturer of the case but they (Cooler Master) are located in Taiwan so I will have to dial international. Hopefully I can get somebody who speaks English on the line.

Let me know if you have any other info on something like this or if I am on the right track in calling the manufacturer...

5. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Double check around all of the screw holes on the mobo and make sure that there is nothing like a crack or something that can short it out.

Count the number of screw holes in the mobo and the standoffs in the case. Make sure you don't have an extra one and make sure the standoffs ALL line up with the holes, tighten them all, put on your new i/o plate and then put the mobo in, ensuring everything lines up, screw it down. You don't need any gaskets, washers or anything, a lot of new cases don't come with them anymore and haven't been needed in years, but have still come with new cases for some reason.

Make sure you PROPERLY install all of the leads from the case onto the proper pins, sometimes this is challenging because some boards are poorly labelled and mistakes can happen, double check the pics in the manual or look online.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You shouldn't need, and you shouldn't put any kind of insulation behind the board. Although you only have 1/4-3/8" clearance, this clearance is important to provide air circulation behind the board for cooling.

Just as a test, remove the I/O shield from the case, install the board, and see if the problem still exists with the I/O shield removed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice