Problem with connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BenWasTaken

I have this laptop that connects to my wireless router and the first time I set up the network everything worked fine. On my network I have a computer hard wired to the router and one computer that connects using a built in wireless network card. It worked for awhile and then when I unhooked my hard wired computer for about a month while I left town, when I came back my laptop couldn't connect to the network anymore. I've tried resetting the router and restarting my laptop, and stuff, but I can't figure out why I can't connect. I can't really connect to any of the other WAPs around me (about 15). Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Does the hardwired computer connect properly? Has the configuration of the router been changed, say the encryption keys?

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

BenWasTaken

Hey, it does connect properly when hard wired and no the router settings havn't changed at all.

Here's the ipconfig results for the computer that's hard wired to the router.

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NoUse

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NeverlandRanch

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : NeverlandRanch

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-CE-76-F1

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.105.161.20

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:51:51 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:51:51 PM
Thanks for your help.

TerryNet

Terry
If you can "see" all those 15 signals at once there is probably so much interference among them that you have no chance to connect to any. But if the situation isn't that bad:

Are you using your adaptor's utility or WIndows' to manage your wireless? When you view wireless networks you see yours, right? When you tell it to 'connect,' what exactly happens? Maybe a little message about acquiring network address? Is your network encrypted?

BenWasTaken

I'm using my adaptor's utility which has always worked for me. Yea, I can see my network on my wireless network list. When I try to connect, it tries for a second, then says unable to connect to "NeverlandRanch" (which is my SSID). I even brought my laptop right up to the WAP to get 100% signal quality and disabled my WEP encryption (just to be sure) and it still would not connect to it. I even bought another network card thinking my internal one might be screwed, but that did not even work, so I guess I will return it. When I hard wire my laptop to the router it works fine, but for some reason the wireless is messing up.

Thanks for your help.

TerryNet

Terry
If you have any kind of turbo or speedbooster, try with that disabled.

Just for the heck of it (and because long names scare me) try an SSID of 8 chars or less.

When you said that you reset your router, did you mean reset to factory settings? If not, make sure you know the configuration, reset to factory settings, and reconfigure. For some reason, sometimes computers can then connect again.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd also try some different channels on the router. Maybe you can find one of those channels with a weaker signal that you can swamp if you're closer. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online