1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with CPU temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RJones659, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RJones659

RJones659 Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago I awkoe my PC from overnight suspension. I generally leave my Pc running all the Time and suspend overnight. However, upon startup, both of my fans were running at fullspeed for no apparent reason and would not slow down. I attempted to contact customer support from my PC manufacturer for help. First they said to update my BIOS ( which I did) because apprently it had a known issue of fan control. Updating it did nothing, as the updated version was the version I was already running. The only other option I have been given is to mail the PC back to them for diagnostics. They will not give me any information whatsoever. All they said was that the motherboard may have to be replaced by would not tell me why, or what exactly has malfuntioned.

From my own digging around, I have discovered that the CPU temperature in the BIOS registers at 00.

I downloaded Speedfan, but it does nothing. It will not allow me to regulate my fan speed. However, processor speed on Speedfan reads as -128.

I have no idea what to do, My warranty expired three days after reported this problem to the manufacturer. My PC now sounds like a jet engine. I have a gateway fx530s. The Pc runs perfectly except for the temperature register and the constantly running fans. Any clue what I can do?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Which two fans? CPU and? Some chassis fan?

3. RJones659

RJones659 Thread Starter

I am guessing CPU fans, One of the front pulling air in, the other on the rear pushing air out. Both are running at top speed. The Video card fan is running normally I believe. Sorry, I am not techincally literate, attempting to educate myself in the process.

4. BG-0

BG-0

CPU fan is the fan on the CentralProcessingUnit. The ones pulling and pushing air are chassis(case) fans. You could try replacing the case fans with ones that can't be controlled (in RPM) by the motherboard, or ones that are manually controlled. Also your CPU fan could be noisy, because of the "heat" (the computer has no clue about the CPU's temperature, so it's desperate to lower it. Maybe). This could be trickier.
    Most possibly the cause of the trouble is the motherboard, it's sensors or ability to read the signals coming from the sensors) have gone bad. The video card's fan speed not being hit up would also suggest this, because the MB can't affect it.

5. RJones659

RJones659 Thread Starter

Thanks For the info. Can you recommend a couple of fans?

6. BG-0

BG-0

First off you should see if the CPU fan is noisy. Open your case, while computer is on, or turn it on after you open it. Try to listen if there's a lot of noise coming from the fan that's on a block of metal(called the heatsink). If yes, you'll propably need/want to replace it too. That would be a bigger project.
    Anyways, if that's not making too much noise: ...

While searching for the type of fans you have, found this. This could fix your PC without buying anything. http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-2439912445.shtml

Ask for help how to install the new BIOS. It's quite simple, but not the same as installing new programs... I'll continue this post soon.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice