1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Dell bluetooth keyboard and/or USB ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Symber, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symber

Symber Thread Starter

Okay this is a really interesting situation. After a week of trial and error I've narrowed the problem down enough to have a workaround for it and to ask about it. I'm running XP SP3, the keyboard in question is a dell multimedia bluetooth keyboard and the usb ports are on board, not a hub.

When I boot up my machine (or come back to it in the morning even if its left on) the keyboard won't work. The -only- way, and I've tried tons of stuff, that I've been able to get it to type again is to disable the bluetooth dongle in the settings, move it into a new USB port (tho I may have only ever swapped it with the mouse USB port), re-enable the device, remove and re-detect/add the keyboard. This is the absolute only way I've been able to get it to work again including reboots, driver reinstalls, batteries, re-pairings, etc. It also does not depend what USB port the dongle was in last, this always happens. I've also checked to make sure that the Bluetooth service is started automatically at boot and it is.

I really have no idea why this would happen and while I'm happy to have figured out a workaround, I would be even happier if I was able to skip this 5 minute process every time I want to use the keyboard. I'd also like to note that the machine stays on overnight (not hibernating or anything) and that the keyboard doesn't seem to 'shutdown' if I leave it alone for 10 minutes or so. I figured that it could be related to how the keyboard 'sleeps' to save power, but I heard thats usually after just a minute or two.

Really hope this is something simple I'm overlooking. Hope someone can help with this since I can't find anything relevant online.

:confused:

2. Symber

Symber Thread Starter

Anyone?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice