1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Dell Inspiron Laptop Not Booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ricewalker, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ricewalker

Ricewalker Thread Starter

Hopefully someone can point me toward a solution (and not reformatting the HD unless absolutely necessary) that I am having with my Dell Inspiron Laptop. When I power up the laptop, after it being turned off for an extended period of time (i.e. overnight), it will begin the boot process. I get the Windows XP Pro splash screen and then the screen goes black for about 30 seconds or so. If I then see a cursor (arrow) on the black screen I know that the laptop will finish the boot correctly. If no cursor appears after 30 seconds I know it has locked up. If it locks up, I hit the power button to restart the laptop. It will then come up with the "You did not shut down correctly" message and it lets me choose to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Normally. If I select standard Safe Mode (the first choice), the laptop boots up into Safe Mode. I then immediately tell it to Restart and the system shuts down and then boots normally. Once the system is up correctly I can shut it down and reboot without problems (90% of the time) so long as I reboot it immediately after doing the shutdown.

This boot problem happens 8 out of 10 times I try to start up the laptop the first time. I have contacted Dell and they were about as helpful as a sharp stick in the eye (it may have been a language barrier).

I have a feeling if I just reformat the HD and re-install Win XP Pro and all my apps the problem will go away, BUT, I want to try other solutions before doing the re-format as its a PITA (as we all know).

Thanks for any help you can provide
    Richard Anderson

2. chakorules

chakorules

Since this is a Windows XP machine.

How long ago do this problem start? If you think it's software related, you might want to try and reboot into safe mode.

Press the F8 key when the PC is booting up. This will get you into the Windows XP startup menu. Boot into safe mode, and start the System Restore program. Restore your OS to an earlier date. Keep restoring to earlier date past the time you last remember having any problems with the system. If the problem is indeed software related, Windows XP System Restore should take care of the problem.

3. doogdoog

doogdoog

Aloha,
    Does your cmos require a battery? Maybe the batt is going and I would also try booting up the laptop with the ac plugged in. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. Ricewalker

Ricewalker Thread Starter

My laptop is basically a skinny plugged in desktop (hehehe). In other words, it is plugged in all the time. I don't know if this is a problem and it shouldn't be, but then again, who knows?

Rick Anderson

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice