1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with desktop I think

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cyclone, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549

true_caucasi
    OK we took a shot in the dark and missed. So lets get more specific. I know you said your problem was similiar to cyclone's
    so let me know what is the exact problem and when does it occur.
    Also I need some specifics about your computer and OS.
    Dave

2. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

de problem is dat sometimes wen i start the comp it boots allright untill the desktop appears...teh icons appear and de background also appears but then the comp just freezes i cant click on n e ting..or do n e ting...i try 2 press ctrl+alt+del 2 see wat prog was causin de prob but no luck...i juset get de blue screen n dats it..de comp freezes...i have 2 restart...n sometimes it worx...
    alright..some specifics bout my comp..
    256 ram
    40 gig
    1.5 ghz
    52 cdrom
    rage fury xpert 2000 pro 32 megs graphics
    wat else???
    thx alot...
    ohh yeh
    win 98 se

3. qcity

qcity

I also use the rage fury pro video card & had a problem with reboot at desktop I understand this will also cause freezes at desktop.Windows 98 hangs or reboots during startup or at desktop!

One user who is a small system builder has reported that renaming drvwppqt.vxd and drvwq117.vxd solves the problem. They experienced the problem on motherboards from seven different manufacturers and found the above solution to be successful.

4. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

i hav now reformatted my comp and i havent had the problem for a while...i put up windows me....now its happening again....i dunno after wat program it happened..it just started happening....
    but qcity....what should i rename those files to?
    and if i do will any harm be done?becuz i recently formatted and dont want to have to do it again
    thx a lot for your help....

5. qcity

qcity

rename them .old example

drvwppqt.old and drvwq117.old.
    This way if windows needs them you can name them back to .vxd

6. qcity

qcity

First search & make sure these files exist.

7. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

hi...htx for ur reply...but i cant find those files on my computer...is it becuz i have windows me????i looked in the properties of my computer and checked the properties of my video card and in the driver file details i saw that it was missin vdd.vxd and vflatd.vxd...so i went to the windows cd and i got those files from the cab files....will that solve the problem???i dont think it will bcuz i tried dat b4 i formatted my comp...but i just wanna make sure...
    thx for ur replies...

8. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

do u thing this could be a ram problem??i checked using sisoft sandra and it says that i have 4 rows of rams spaces...the first is empty...2nd has 256 ram....3rd is empty..4th is empty...could de problem be because i have the ram in the second row and not the first....if not...what else could it be??
    thx a lot for your help...

9. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

can some1 plz help me!!!!!!i cant stand dis n e more...plz some1 help...i m very desperate as i am now also having shutdown problems.......

10. qcity

qcity

If you don't have the .vxd files I mentioned then your problem is somewhere else...The book on your Motherboard should tell you what bank your memory should be in...Mine has to have at least some in bank 0 I believe or it won't boot. Good luck & have you prayed ? works for me....Don't panic this too will pass.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice